Notifications
Clear all

Changed Strings on Acoustic-Electric and Electronics Died

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@seanwagner)
Topic starter  

I recently purchased a yamaha fgx720sc for a recording session tomorrow. I went to change the strings tonight, and, after I had, the onboard tuner was acting really weird. The arrows for the flat and sharp signals were cycling back an d forth at regular intervals without displaying a note-it was as if the tuner wasn't actually picking up any signal from the guitar. then, i tried to plug the guitar into my amp, but it didn't send any signal to the amp. I checked the battery on the guitar, and it was fine, and i plugged another guitar into the amp, and that worked too. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts? I checked all of the wires inside of the guitar, and they all appeared to be in good condition and connected properly. the only thing that i saw which i hadn't seen before was a little copper piece under the saddle with a wire atttached to it, and i don't know what that does, but i didn't screw with it. can anyone give me some suggestions? if i can't record tomorrow, i lose the money that i put down for the session. Thanks so much for any help you can give!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Did you take off all the strings at once? Sounds like you may heve dislodged your piezo pickup from under the saddle.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@seanwagner)
Topic starter  

I did! do you have any suggestions as to how I might be able to fix it? Thanks so much for your help!

Did you take off all the strings at once? Sounds like you may heve dislodged your piezo pickup from under the saddle.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

the most common ailment with both of my guitars of this type is a bad connection with the preamp.
slide out the compartment that holds the batteries in the preamp/tuner.
if there are little metal connectors that can be bent out a bit, try that.

otherwise it may be as was suggested earlier.
sometimes these piezos are attached with a double sided tape and you can reach into the soundhole and firmly press it back into place.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Let us know if you get it fixed Sean ....... OK?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@forresal)
Eminent Member

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I have been having the same problem with my acoustic/electric Ibanez AEF37E.

Well, its one of two big problems.

1. Like Sean posted, changed strings and now there is a random loss of signal. Even with fresh batteries. There is an onboard tuner which when engaged flashes green...that never fails (unless of course the batteries are dead) so I know there is juice going into the system. When the signal ceases there is an audible ....hmmmm...how to describle it....its not a hiss or fuzz, more like the "airy" sound of having stereo speakers turned to max but without music. :roll:

When the signal does work I notice that if I tap the bridge at the 4-5-6 strings its very loud, but at the 1-2-3 almost non-existent (on board eq doesn't alter this disparity). When working the whole guitar is massively bass heavy (yet nicely balanced unplugged).

2. The second main issue...is feedback. I play in a church worship team and all the instrumentalists use IEMs and all go straight to a PA (no onstage amps, etc.). The only stage monitor will be one single monitor shared by 3 vocalists. I will stand nowhere near that monitor and the slightest tone off of anyone on that stage will cause my guitar to generate feedback (the keyboard will play...and I can feel my bass strings begin to vibrate, which is picked-up by the pickup, when working!).

The guitar is useless live. I don't know what is wrong, whether I can fix it myself or take it for service. If is too expensive, I mught just convert the fixing $ to $ for a Variax Acoustic 700. Dunno why, but I love those...

Thanks for any tips/advice!
F

ReplyQuote