Clear all

changing strings

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@nottmuk)
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone.
This is a really really basic question but I cannot see that it has been answered.

I took up the guitar a couple of months ago and started with an Encore strat copy - its great - no complaints.

I fancied an acoustic and bought the cheapest I could - big mistake!! - nylon strings - sounded terrible !! quickly sold it.
Now I have bought a second hand Simon and Patrick Cedar which I think is a superb guitar.
The guy I bought it from suggested the strings needed changing and I think he may be right - partly because they are a bit "sticky" when sliding - it kinda hurts and its like trying to ski on tar !!!!
anyway back to the matter in hand - I want to change the strings but know absolutely NOTHING about how to do it other than what I just read on the internet - I think I know that you replace one string at a time so as not to unstress the neck and I think I physically know what to do.
My main question is what strings to buy and how do you buy them?. I will order them online and have them delivered I think but need to know what the heck to order - do they come in sets of 6? I have looked at some sites on the net and its not completley obvious.
there is also the question of ultra thin - bronze, coated - etc etc etc and its all a bit confusing so would appreciate any direction or recommendations of which to buy. ??? ???

(@Anonymous)

have you tried going in the local music shop and asking for advice? I'm sure if you told the assistant what kind of sound you're aiming for he or she will point you in the right direction. It's all down to personal preference, really - I just ask for a set of 9's (light) which suits the (sort of) jangly pop-rock rhythms i like. light strings come with a plain 3rd - heavier with a wound 3rd. I also find them easier for bending

Hope this helps - Vic.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

forgot to add - I was once told, when changing strings, do em one at a time starting from the 6th E and tune them in. They do take a while to "settle" so you'll have to retune a little later. Good luck!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Standard Acoustic strings for the S&P would be D'addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Light .012 The ends are even colour coded  :)

Plenty of people either re-package or make variations on these, but I'd start with the above.

Just compare them with what's on the guitar at the moment, because if the gauge is too different the truss rod will have to be adjusted.

PS
remember acoustic and electric 'lights' are different gauges

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

You should put the same gauge strings on your guitar as are on there right now.  Why?  If you put thicker strings they will pull the headstock up.  If thinner the neck may want to bend backward a hair.  If you choose to go with thinner (read: easier to play) than what's on there have the music shop put the strings on and make adjustments if necessary.

I love the D'Addario strings with the color coded ball ends.  It literally tells you which string goes where based on a diagram.  That's pretty handy if you are talking with a buddy and space out "oh man, which string is this?"

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I agree with getting something close to whats already on it. One size either way is fine. What find of music do you play  this can be a factor in which strings to get also. These sizes maybe close to what was on it.  009 - .042 or.010 - .046 or .011 - .050

joe

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I like the color coded D'addarios too.  Don't worry about taking all the strings off at once, that won't hurt the guitar.  In fact, I recommend it.  You can wipe off any crud that may be on the fingerboard, and dust the guitar if it needs it.

ReplyQuote
(@nottmuk)
Topic starter  

Ok thanks for the advice - I have ordered the D'addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Lights and so will have a go at changing them when they arrive.
The only problem I forsee is the bridge pins?...it looks like it may be tricky but I will have a go !

regarding buying strings to suit a "style" i dont yet have one but the first song I learnt was "wish you were here" by pink floyd I love that song - am also battling downtown train, horse with no name - scales, knocking on heavens door - I love it all.
the best guitar music I heard recently was travis - love will come through - its used on an advert on TV - I think its really easy to play but I think its played with a 12 string guitar. its a real catchy tune that one.

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

first off, "unstressing the neck" is a myth,the only time it is essential to change one string at a time is when dealing with a floating bridge. and with that in mind, lets continue to what i do.

step 1: take the nasty cruddy strings off by unwinding them at the tuning peg, then removing the pegs on the bridge of the guitar.

step 2:one string at a time, put the string in the proper hole on the bridge, put the peg back in so the string fits in the slot.

step 3a:thread the string through the "inside" hole on the tuning peg, so that the string end is facing up if it's on the top set of pegs, and down if on the bottom. put a sharp bend in the stringto make winding easier, but not so the string will easily break.

step 3b:if you are looking at the guitar laying down, body facing towards you, head facing away, the pegs on the left should be wound counter-clockwise, and the ones on the right clockwise. this should be done on each string as you go along with step 3a. wind until in tune.

Step 4: stretch the strings by gently tugging them one at a time. Retune.repeat until the guitar stays in tune.

thats just the way i do it, but it works for me.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Keep in mind, the bridge pins don't actually hold the strings in place.  There's a sort of slot the ends of the strings catch in.  The pins just push them into the slot in the first place.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

So here's a stupid question, but since I've only been at this for under a month I have to ask- how do you tell when your strings need to be changed?

I pulled my old acoustic out of the attic a month ago and promptly replaced the strings before starting to play it, but How will I be able to tell when they are worn?

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

change the strings when they start feeling cruddy, or are losing tone. I usually change my accoustic strings once every two months, and that's a stretch for them, considering the g is coming unwound lol. If i could afford to, I would change them every month. Im thinking about switching to elixers for my accoustic, so they last longer, and get a "darker" tone without losing volume. I change my electric strings every time i break one, which is usually about once a month. (unless i just changed them, then i'll just get a string to replace the one that snapped)

but ya, just change them whenever you stop liking the feel or sound of them.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Thanks, Psycho. I've had these strings on less than a month and they don't seem to be worn at all; I play about an hour a day most days. I might just go ahead and change them in a few weks for the heck of it.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I've got a related question on strings:

Is there a "typical" size (e.g. light, medium, etc) set of strings used on acoustics and electrics? How do I know what size strings are already on my guitars if I want to replace them with strings of the same size?
I'd like to start changing my own strings but don't want to affect the tension on the neck if I use strings of a different size.
Does this matter more for acoustics or are electrics affected similarly?
Thanks

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

11s to 13s usually on the accoustic, and im pretty sure 9s are the standard for electrics. Everyone has their preferences. I use 12-53 on my accoustic, and d'addario xl 9's on my electric, and 10's on my drop-tuned electric.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2