Clear all

choking e and b string

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My new guitar is lovely, but it has a small problem which im convinced can be easily fixed, but how??

bending the e and b string upto the 15th fret causes them to choke out before the full step bend is achieved. there is no such problem after the 15th fret, it is clear as a bell. i am assuming that the string is therefore catching on the 16th fret??

am i right about this assumption, and how might i fix it???

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Is this the custom made SG? Assuming a set (glued in) neck: First check for a fret raised out of its slot. Get any found reseated.

If the frets all seem properly seated, a quick fix is to raise the action (bridge height) until the choking stops, or ...

...that high up on the neck, the real fix is probably a bit of fret leveling (+ recrowning), possibly finished off with some neck relief adjustment (truss rod) and a bridge height tweak to re-optimize the action.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks gnease. sounds a bit too technical for me, i dont want to ruin it. ill get it to a pro to do it for me. thanks

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Raising the bridge is very simple -- I'm sure you could manage that. Might be a simple fix.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

you were spot on gnease. it had a few (a lot) of frets raised and needed them levelling and recrowning.

i also had the guy give it a complete set up and put new strings on. £60

not monewy i wanted to spend but well worth the result. thanks

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Since it was a custom hand made guitar I wonder if the fret job just never got finished off properly? By the way Almann ........... WHERE ARE THE PICTURES! :P Seriously ..... can we see it? Did you know Tony Iommi's origional black SG (not origional SG ..... origional black one with the cross inlays) was a custom made guitar not a Gibson. Likely hand made in England as well. Yours made me think of that. It was made by a guy named John Birch I believe.

I think this is the one

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well i will be vbery happy if i can get anywhere near playing half as good as tommy with my guitar!!
pics will come - although i am accessing GN on a borrowed computer at the minute as mine had a serious virus attack and the IT men at work are trying to fix it.

by the way, it makes its first gig debut tonight - ive got it warming up and doing its stretches as we speak.

ReplyQuote