Cleaning Guitars (Deep Clean)

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

As per my post here I finally got hold of my guitar today.

She's been loved by another man previously and so she's got a few minor dinks and scratches which don't bother me in the slightest.

What does bother me however is that the previous owner seems to have been a smoker and there's quite a heavy smoke smell coming from her which I would like to get cleaned up soon - I'm an ex smoker myself and the smell is driving me to distraction :P

Anybody got any good tips on how best to clean this guitar up? I'm guessing I'm going to need more than just a "damp cloth" for this one :)

Thanks.

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If you don't mind it smelling fruity. I've heard a suggestion of putting it in the case with a couple of apple slices in a plastic zipper bag for a couple of days to git rid of a mildew smell this might work for you. Heres the thread Stinkee Axe

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Get yourself a micro-fibre cloth (they're sold for cleaning windows and household glass). You don't need water, the micro-fibres will take all the tar residue away.
If the cloth gets too dirty, just wash it in warm soapy water, dry it and carry on.
If it is really gungy (and the finish is polyeurathane), try using a little household orange oil cleaner.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try :)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I know that denatured alcohol dissolves herb resins.
perhaps a cleaning with alcohol would remove alot of tar and cig resin too.

after that process you can clean things with a guitar polish.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Alcohol could dry out the wood. Be careful.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member

My gutiar has all finger prints on it. I never really cleaned them off. Would the micro-fibre cloth get those off too?( Acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just seen your other thread about finger prints and was looking for this one to point you to :)

I think the microfibre cloth should work for you - it's worked really well on getting my guitar all shiny and clean.

ReplyQuote