Notifications
Clear all

Cleaning the Entire guitar

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@gandalf)
Topic starter  

Okay so, I was wondering if mineral oil would be good for the fretboard, and for actually cleaning the guitar ive been using a mix of some water and vinegar, but I don't really think thats too good, so i need sugestions prefreably household products, and i was going to use some scotts liquid gold then my mom stopped me cause she says that eats the paint away.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Mineral oil might do strange things to it.  I think it's used to seal and harden wooden counter tops.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Scott's liquid gold is elixir.  I use it on my fretboard.  IMHO it's the best thing to clean the fretboard with.

For the body, use a car detailing chamois or a lint free cloth.  You might want to dampen it a tiny bit if you have some stubborn stains.  If you have some goo on the guitar you can't get off, use lighter fluid.  It will take off the goo without damaging the finish.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Mineral oil might do strange things to it.  I think it's used to seal and harden wooden counter tops.

I think your thinking about linseed oil or tung oil.

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Just stick it in a big bucket of non flamable lighter fluid, and rub all over with a brillo pad, then lick it all over and finish it off with some sunflower oil, place on the BBQ and turn after 4 minutes!

Pet ;)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

At Sam Ash Music in NJ, all the guitars just hang around the walls and get pawed over by by people trying them out.  But when they sell you one, they clean in with GIBSON SPRAY POLISH - orange can - 7 clams - does the trick.

It smells so good I clean the guitar more than play it.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Has anybody tried Virtuoso (brand) Cleaner and Polish? I've read good things about it but haven't tried it yet.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

No but if you find a polish that can turn me into a virtuoso let me know.  I'll pay big bucks. ;D

ReplyQuote
(@storymwstring)
Eminent Member

Hey Nick,

Get that wallet out, cuz it's just a matter of minutes before I cover that offer!!

;D

Steve

How come you fret the guitar upside down?
I just want to play all day

ReplyQuote
(@spider61)

go to your loacl store and buy some lemon oil remember a little goes a long way . that bottle will last for years

just one gold record away from retriment..

ReplyQuote
(@gandalf)
Topic starter  

I just did it yesterday, I use mineral oil, so let me clear this up for everyone IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU USE! as long as its a natural oil you will be fine, and you do it about once a year.

btw: if you have any cracks in the fretbord don't put any in it, it will end up doing damage.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

lol, Gandalf  I think you just contradicted yourself.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT YOU USE, as long as it's....

Well then it does matter, doesn't it? :)

Use a natural oil is fine.  Pick one that won't go rancid.

I have personal experience over time with Scott's so I recommend it.

I wouldn't recommend Linseed or Olive oil because of the smell.

I wouldn't recommend any vegetable oil because it will go bad eventually.

I wouldn't recommend citrus if you are a fanatic who oils at every string change because of the acidity.

ReplyQuote
(@gandalf)
Topic starter  

lol, Gandalf  I think you just contradicted yourself.

Lol. Yes, yes i did contridict my self, So let me restate use any oli that is nautral, mineral, lemon and that all I can think of right now, but yea I agree with the lvegetable oil because over time it become gummy.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Nick, I do use and recommend olive oil as a fretboard and string lubricant. It's different from other vegetable oils in having a high level of the monounsaturated oleic acid, which doesn't dry up and turn gummy like the others. Doesn't smell funky on the guitar. You've got to put your nose right to it; I kind of like the faint scent it has. Stays nice and slick. Makes the strings bend and slide more smoothly, and if you pull the strings through fingers dipped in it when you put them on, then wipe them off gently, they last a LOT longer. It won't dissolve finish materials or glues as mineral oils can. Ask a gunsmith or anyone who's worked on old guns; mineral oils deteriorate wood over time. Turns it into a punky mess over decades.

If you like mineral oil, though (and it works OK as that's what most of the commercial "lemon oil" and other fretboard lubes are made from), baby oil's the best deal. It's just got a different fragrance in it from "lemon oil."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Nick, I do use and recommend olive oil as a fretboard and string lubricant. It's different from other vegetable oils in having a high level of the monounsaturated oleic acid, which doesn't dry up and turn gummy like the others. Doesn't smell funky on the guitar. You've got to put your nose right to it; I kind of like the faint scent it has. Stays nice and slick. Makes the strings bend and slide more smoothly, and if you pull the strings through fingers dipped in it when you put them on, then wipe them off gently, they last a LOT longer. It won't dissolve finish materials or glues as mineral oils can. Ask a gunsmith or anyone who's worked on old guns; mineral oils deteriorate wood over time. Turns it into a punky mess over decades.

If you like mineral oil, though (and it works OK as that's what most of the commercial "lemon oil" and other fretboard lubes are made from), baby oil's the best deal. It's just got a different fragrance in it from "lemon oil."

So... The olive oil I currently have in my cupboard would work just fine then?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2