21 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I'll be getting one this weekend. Was wondering what should be done to make sure it stays in good condition, and increases in value, or stays the same. Thanks :)

(and i mean all things that can be done, anything u think of, i probably dont know it )

love,
Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@spider61)

8) nice guitar. hard shell case would be my first purchase.

just one gold record away from retriment..

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Put in a hardshell case or flight case and put it away and don't play it.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Put in a flight case and send to me.  You pay shipping.  Ill fix it right up for you  ;D.  Yeah sure, ill do that...  Might take me a few years or so. :)

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That is a nice guitar, but you gotta remember that guitars are for making music, not an investment. If that's why you're buying it, put it in a big safe somewhere with a climate control and forget about it. Otherwise, play that sucker & don't worry about keeping it "perfect". I think wear gives a guitar character. Look at the classic Strats & Les Pauls from the 50's & 60's. Lots of wear & tear, but mega character. Buy one of those if you want an investment. But I do understand that you want to keep it looking & playing pretty. Don't sit it in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Get a guitar stand with a "lock" to keep it from falling out, (usually a piece of plastic or rubber). Transport it in a heavy duty guitar case. Don't use harsh cleaners on it. Avoid extreme temperatures. Take it to a proffesional guitar tech to have it set up at least once a year. Keep away from small children! Play that baby like there's no tomorrow! Have fun!

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yup, hardshell case is coming with it. Really nice case actually.

As for not using any hardcore cleaners, what should i use to clean it and polish it?

And how long is to long for direct sunlight ?

The store im buying from will set it up twice a year for free :).

Thanks for replies

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Also, which guitar stand? From what I know, certain guitar stands have dyed black rubber on them, and this  stains the finish, which id like to avoid.

How much is one of these locking stands?  This guitar, costing 1850, has actually completly cleared me out of cash, not a dime left..

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'm not one much for those folding metal stands. I usually lean them against the wal of amp fretboard first. Those cases that are lined and open up into a stand are nice. there's no metal for the guitar to come in contract with.

They cost some though

joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Try the Shadowstand, that Nick reviewed - it has leather, rather than rubber, protectors.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yeah, i looked at the site and it said they were like 70 bucks. I think, ill check again to make sure. I entered the contest to win 1 of them just for that reason.
Thanks again.

Love
Taso

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I believe that is for the upgraded stand that has some cool wood block on the floor.  The basic metal/leather model was $26 or $27 with $10 shipping.  Still not bad for a stand that will last a lifetime.

Joe, I gotta ask.  I've see you lean your guitar up against a wall backward or against an amp.  Why not a guitar stand to make sure the dog doesn't knock it over?  I know I would eventually make a mistake.   :'(

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I don't have a dog and am not around anywhere there is dogs. If I did the music room would off limits.  That would be all I need is a dog to think my guitar is a tree or something else on some cords.

I have a cat that thinks she's a guard dog. You won't see rabbits, squirrel's or even stray dogs in my yard.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Sounds like you sent your cat the the USMC boot camp!  Gotta get me one of them cats.  Make it wear a prison coat, spiked hair, and chains galore.  Kinda like a heavy metal cat.

So you haven't accidentally knocked your guitar to the floor at home?  I have not yet with the Gibson but did many a time with the $100 Ibanez.  I leaned that guitar against the wall (before I got a guitar stand) and it hit the floor maybe 10 times in my first 3 months.  And I have to give it lots of credit because it was solid.  Seemingly more solid than my current guitar.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been trying to get one of these guitars for over a year.....if anything happens to it, you guys won't be seeing me on the boards anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There comes a time when you need to use your sixth sense and know where your guitar is at all times and know its safe from being knocked over, whether its on a stand or not. Never or leave your guitar in harms way.

In my mind I check all my guitars at all times. After awhile you just develop a sense for that kind of thing.

Joe

PS. the cat name is Bendayho, and she all attitude and then some.  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2