Clear all

Cracked Guitar!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sally45)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Help! My guitar has a crack in the lower bout on the back of the body due to humidity changes (I forgot to shut my window and left it open for almost 24 hours while the guitar was still in the room-argh :( :? ) So....the crack is only 3 inches-so far. Is there a possibility that the crack will get bigger? If so, how do I prevent it or how can I fix the current crack?

Any help would be great

thanks,
Sally

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Once wood dries and cracks, it's dried and cracked. The cellular structure is damaged and it will never resonate quite the same.

And yes, it can get worse.

While all hope is not lost, I'd get the guitar to a Luthier's asap.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Back in 1976 I purchased a new Yamaha 12 string. The second night I owned it a singer wanted to use it in a song. After the song was over and he was handing the guitar off to a stage hand it got dropped. It ended up with a 4" crack and funny crunched area on the lower back side. Being the guitar was replaced. I filled the damaged area with wood glue and it's lasted all these years.

Now I'm only explaining what I did. Because I figured no reason to send it in being it was replaced. The choice is your's to decide whether or not to have it professionally done or do a Quick fix and have it fixed later.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

sure you can fix it.

You'll need a wood biscuit or two, available from the hardware store, a bit of water, some carpenters glue and an old bicycle inner tube.

Wet the crack with the water by putting the water on your fingers and rubbing it over the crack. Don't soak it, just get it a little damp.

Put some glue all the way up and down the crack on the outside and gently work the sides of the crack barely up and down until the glue sinks in. Put some more glue on and wipe it down the crack with your finger. The idea is to work it in well.

Wipe off the excess glue with a damp paper towel.

Wrap the inner tube around the lower bout several times, pull as taught as possible. Tie it off.

Leave it to dry.

Take off your strings next day and put some glue on the biscuit. Stick the biscuit on the crack on the inside near the end that might still crack.

That should do it or you can take it to a luthier.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I was wondering if Nick was going to come by with the flat tire trick.

ReplyQuote