Clear all

DIY Humbucker

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have been wanting to replace the humbucker in my HSS strat. One thing I am considering is making my own. Stewmac has kits available. Including the wire for winding the pickup it would run around $50.

The big drawback is the hand winding. Seems like it would take forever. I am not about to invest $350 in a winder.

Has anyone here had any experience with this?

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Why not build a holder for the pickup frame and wind it on an electric drill/screwdriver?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Many pickup winders (people) adapt an electric sewing machine as their pickup winder. I think that the part of interest is that revolving wheel usually on the right side, like a flywheel? Humbuckers are maybe double-harder to wind than singles.

Good for Stew Mac, but I wonder if they are targeting small pickup makers, and not the private person making a one-off.

That said, I would discourage it, but encourage a look at the aftermarket from GFS - which I don't have, to Duncan's like a Pearly Gates or Screamin' Demon. 4-wire pickups give you the option to tap or split. If you don't think you'll use that, then accept it anyhow, since they tend to be the better humbuckers usually, and you can still wire as a full humbucker.

Speaking from experience, I don't have much use for HSS Strats, since I use mods from http://www.deaf-eddie.net . There is still the situation where an HSS is called for, and it is up to the individual, but I sold my MIM HHS's, kept an MIC Squier, because of its British Racing Green color and Anniversary status. The humbucker is nice and creamy, close to Pearly Gates which I have in MIA's. Thinking outside the box, my daughter has humbuckers from Benny Trevillian, but he is out of production, and my son is completely closed-minded on the subject, and uses EMG's only; HSS he put together.

I'm sure you're aware of the numbers of screws for the mounting of the humbucker in the guard. Below, a stock pic of a Highway One uses 2 on the upper side and 1 below which I think is normal for a MIA Fat Strat using the DH-1 humbucker. Next, my family's using a Benny Trevillian with standard mounting screws, our Squier and even a MIA Lonestar with 1-1.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote