Clear all

Empty sounding guitar

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have an Alverez acoustic guitar that someone gave me a while back. Don't remember the model, but I know it retails for around $250 -$300. When I got it it had heavy strings on it, and sounded pretty good I think, but I didn't play it much. At the time my fingers were not strong enough to bend the heavys, so I put on a set of light/med strings.

Now it sounds miserable. Very empty,weak and hollow. I also noticed that the A string touches the tuner post of the E string on the head stock, which I know it isn't supposed to do. I'm guessing it is a problem with the neck, but I have no idea how to fix it.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it's more likely you wound the A string onto its post backwards. it should leave the capstan (tuner post) "heading" to the nut on the side toward the D string, NOT the side toward the E string.

changes in string gauge do change the timbre (tone) of a guitar. also understand that if you make a significant change to the string gauge, the guitar will likely need a set-up to adjust the neck relief (bowing), action (height of strings) and the nut (affects intonation and action). these adjustments address playability and anomalies such as buzzing. tone may or may not improve. I'm of the medium-to-heavy-strings-sound-better school of thought for acoustic guitar. Others will undoubtedly tell you how good their acoustics sound with light strings. (they are wrong and don't know it ;-) )

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The string is facing the correct way. I didn't wind it backwards.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

okay -- post a pic

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote