Clear all

Encore KC3 Strat neck straightening

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

how on earth do you straighten the neck of a Encore KC3 when it doesn't have a ( think that runs through the neck ) ???, just play around with the back plate ??

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

how on earth do you straighten the neck of a Encore KC3 when it doesn't have a ( think that runs through the neck ) ???, just play around with the back plate ??

Are you sure there is not a truss rod in the neck. I could not even find their web site to look for the user guide but atleast it looks like the typical cover is there on the headstock next to the nut. If it has screw's in it take it off and see if it is just a fake cover.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

What exactly is the problem? Is the neck bent forward or backward? Or is it twisted? If it's twisted you'll probably need a new neck.

If it's just bent forward or backward you MAY need to adjust the truss rod. A little bending forward is normal and should be there. Here's a link that explains it all a lot better, and it has pictures.

http://www.guitarproject.com/tut/trussadjust.htm

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Na, it aint got a trus rod, its an older version of the kc3, could this be adjusted by the plate on the back?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Na, it aint got a trus rod, its an older version of the kc3, could this be adjusted by the plate on the back?
The plate on the back typically means it is a removable/bolt on neck. Some adjustments can be made from there but it involves shimming and a lot of measuring. This is best done by a professional because you could really mess things up. By the way, the repair is called a "neck reset" and not sure how much it will help with the relief on the neck. Worth having a repair shop check it out.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's possible that you have a secret truss rod, lurking at the "wrong end of the neck" - which means that the next time you change strings, the neck has to come off.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so does this mean that the truss can be adjusted from the base of the guitar inside ?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

It's possible. A truss rod runs the length of the neck; this you know. Some manufacturers have the adjustment nut or bolt or screw (could be a hex shaped nut, or large size allen wrench or even a phillips type slot) at the headstock end, right beneath or behind the nut; others have it at the heel of the neck. The ones in the heel you can't always see because of the pickguard. Sometimes there'se a little scooped out dimple in the pickguard that allows you to get a wrench in there and make the adjustment, but sometimes you can just see the top half-moon shape of the adjustment screw visible above the edge of the pickguard. As you say, yours might not have any truss rod, or if it does it might not be an adjustable type, where the rod is just buried and set into the inside of the neck with nothing coming out of either end. Just have a close look; if there's a screw or nut or allen wrench thing at either end, then it's adjustable. If not, then not, and you'd have to have a luthier take the frets off, plane the fretboard level and then refret it. This would be pretty expensive, I should think; in USD I priced something like that and it came out to around $150.

Another option would be to get a new neck, either from another guitar that has a bolt-on neck (like something cheap you find that's good for nothing else but the neck) or get a neck from one of the online places that offer them, like stewmac.com or warmoth.com -- but these can get pricey too. If you do get a neck from another guitar, then there's the possibility that it won't fit right off, and you'd have to have a luthier shape the heel and fit it for you; not all Fender-type neck-heels are the same.

But even this could get expensive unless the thing just happened to fit straight away. For instance, if you came across a neck made by the exact same company.

Have a look and see if there's anything there at either end.

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The guitar is only worth £130 alone lol, paying £150 to have this one repaired would be a bit will... stupid lol. I think i'll save up for a new beast.

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

final word - the cheap thing doesn't have a truss rod lol

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

You could always try to do it yourself...

No one ever learned anything from doing nothing (well someone probably did but whatever).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote