Clear all

Estaban on HSN

27 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I just saw Estaban on HSN giving advice to callers on how to adjust string height by changing the neck relief. Without a doubt, he is so sleazy that he is absolutely hilarious to watch. The Zorro outfit really makes the whole deal work. I also noticed that when he plays, they mix the backing musicians so that you don't really hear much of him doing anything, just a few short runs.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Now there's even a Geico commercial with this guy.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Actually I have a couple of his CD's and he is a good guitar player. Yes they could have done some mixing to sound better but his story is legit about being hit by a drunk driver. His music is beautiful I think.

Now for the quality of his guitars well that I don't know... :?

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

There have been a couple of threads about this guy already. No one is questioning his ability, but to use that ability to sell fourth rate (not even second or third rate) guitars to the unsuspecting public is just plain wrong. He's a snake oil salesman. No true muscian would lie like that to anyone aspiring to learn an instrument. "Buy this guitar and you can sound like me." Hogwash.

You can google him and his guitars and read some of the reviews. Some are down right funny, like the guy who bought it for his daughter who got so fustrated with it that she hung it from a tree as a bird house.

Some will tell you that it is a good beginners guitar. But if you can't keep it in tune, if you can make it sound like music, if you need 75 pounds of pressure to get the strings to meet the frets then you are not going to have a beginner that looks forward to playing guitar. At that point you are pretty much going to have a guitar that collects dust, and a bunch of dreams dashed.

For what they are charging you'd be much better off with a Carlo Robelli (Sam Ashe house brand) or a Rogue or double the $100 and get a Fender or Yamaha starter pack. As for the lessons on the DVD. Give the beginner a piece of paper with the words http://WWW.GUITARNOISE.COM on it.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

And yet on the rec.music.classical.guitar newsgroup they reckoned it was the best thing since sliced yoghurt.

A ;-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I've seen a few moments of his infomercial and his black guitars but that is all I know of him, I hate infomercials and QVC so I don't sit through them when surfing channels.

I don't know the price if his guitars but why does everyone seem to hate this guy?

Are his guitars unplayable? :?:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

His guitars are absolute crap, and he tells everyone that they're the best thing on the market

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There's a whole diatribe over in the Accoustic Guitar Player forums (just have to search back a way's) from people who have either been given these by well meaning relatives or were duped into buying it themselves and they all have pretty pitiful stories to tell.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

My friend bought a guitar from him. He played it (if you can say that) once and said it was cool.

I have yet to play it. Next time I go over his house I will tell him to break it out.......... (he has guitars, but doesn't play them :shock: ). I've never played one before so I'm interested in the playablity and sound.

He's a busy fello! Don't ask me why he bought another one! :?

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it when you get the chance to try it - is it truely a piece of crap, or just an inexpensive starter that people expect too much of. The whole carnival presentation thing doesn't do anything to help his credibility.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The whole carnival presentation thing doesn't do anything to help his credibility.

Nor does his claim to have studied undeer Segovia and been one of his favourites.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, but he did put all that time and hard work into stalking the poor man, so I guess we could give him some credit for that. :D

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, but he did put all that time and hard work into stalking the poor man, so I guess we could give him some credit for that. :D

Even that's open to doubt. After all, all he has is an autographed book

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I'm miffed at the way he conitnually compares these guitars to his '$5,000' guitar. He even goes as far as to say they are better! :shock:

I'm sure he's a decent or maybe even good guitar player, but I'd have to go with all the reviews that I've read and say that I would never pay a dime for one. If they were any good, I'm certain more people would say that. But to hear only a handfull of decent reviews vs. many, many bad ones, well, my money stays put.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Nor does his claim to have studied undeer Segovia and been one of his favourites.

For all we know he could have rented the flat one floor below Segovia and therefore studied "under" Segovia.

not a lie but...

Very interested in a review on these things from one of GN's own. Maybe I'll owe this guy an appology. Who knows.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2