Clear all

Fixing a semihollowbody Electric?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm considering getting a semi-hollowbody guitar next - specifically a Schecter C1 E/A, but this question applies to other semi-hollows as well.

How would one go about fixing electrical problems with this type of guitar, since you can't just remove a pickguard?

I imagine I could replace a pickup or maybe even a pot just by detaching it and pulling wires out, but what if it needed major electrical troubleshooting and I took it to a luthier? Would he (a) do the whole thing "ship-in-a-bottle" style through the F-holes, (b) tell me I was out of luck, or (c) yank the entire top off and re-attach it later?

In particular, I was considering buying a used C1 E/A, but without a warranty and with the unusual complexity (piezo) I'm worried about potential repairs.

Thanks!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

When I work on such an instrument I use the ship in a bottle approach. I use strings and fish wires to get parts where I need them.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I've done a few semi-hollow bodies, usually I tie fishing line to the pots and use a stripped down male 1/4" jack for the output and fish everything out through the bridge pickup hole. Definitely takes some patience but it can be done.

For extensive repair or replacement of devices I mount the parts on a piece of cardboard with the holes in the same place as on the guitar. This makes all the connection lengths correct and easier to put back in. Also keeps that hot soldering iron away from the finish!

Don't be put off by the construction, anything can be fixed if you use a big enough hammer! :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow! Sounds difficult but possible. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't be put off by the construction, anything can be fixed if you use a big enough hammer! :twisted:
I recently bought a 20 lb. sledgehammer for that very reason. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote