Clear all

Fixing hum on a Strat Squire II

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@adirtyword)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, Im trying to figure out why my guitar is buzzing so much. Im thinking its just a bad ground on the bridge because when I touch the strings or anything conductly connected to the bridge it stops. But ive got a problem....how the hell do you take the volume/tone control knobs off the pickup guard? The pickups came off easy but I don't see any screws that hold the knobs onto the guard...and its kinda hard to work on it with only 2 inches of a gap and wires streching...Anyways if anyone has any info on it please feel free to post.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You need to remove the knobs and there will be a nut underneath.

Strats and Teles do make some noise which is common with single coils so you may not really have a problem unless it is real loud. Check out http://www.guitarnuts.com for some advice on shielding etc. to "silence the beast"

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@adirtyword)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cool cool, I got it all apart and checked threw the wiring, everything was just fine...although the ground wire leading to the bridge wasn't coated at all.....So I wraped it up, also I rubber cemented the whole back of the pick-up guard with tin foil lining and shieled the soder points on the pick-ups so there would't be any shorts caused by the foil if it ever comes lose.

The results.............................NO MORE BUZZ!!! 8) 8) 8) I Know its ghetto but hell, it works

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

The knobs are probably just pressed onto a splined shaft. You can pry up around the edges with a guitar pick and loosen them, or tie a shoelace around the knob so that the loop slips under the edge. Then gradually pull up on the free end of the shoelace, working around the rim of the knob to loosen it. (We just had this as a topic on the GuitarNuts Forum.)
The site Nils mentioned will provide tons of info on shielding a Strat or any guitar. Once you get that annoying hum out of it, you can crank it up even louder. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@adirtyword)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

although im still kinda confused as to why the buzzing would stop if I touched the strings/bridge

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You became the ground. Strats are known for this issue. By doing what you did shielded the guitar electronics.

joe

ReplyQuote