Skip to content
floyd rose set up w...

Notifications
Clear all

floyd rose set up with 4 springs and 10-46s. is it safe?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 ads
(@ads)
Topic starter  

hey,
just wondering what gauge of string you all use with your FR bridge guitars. i have a jackson dk2s and i changed the factory strings (9-42) and set up the bridge to 10-46s buy adding a fourth spring and adjusting the claw. i also managed to lower the action to 2mm at the base end and 1.8mm at the treble end. it seems to play quite nicely and it stays in tune so much better now that the bridge is at the correct angle (when i got it the bridge pulled down slightly)

im worried because i havent adjust the truss because im not sure how to and i dont want to damage the guitar.

would there be to much tension in the neck because i added a fourth spring and put 10-46s on?

what gauge of strings do you all use on your FR bridge guitars and how are they set up?

thanks guys

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I can't see it being a problem. Going up one gauge shouldn't cause you any hassle and you may not even need to adjust the truss rod.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If you installed four springs and their not extended some you'll have problems when you pull up on the bar. If you can get a 1/2 step pull then you'll be fine. I use 9 to 42 and three springs. I like the tremolo to float more using three springs. I have one guitar that I have heavier strings on that I uses four springs and its lost its ability to pull up as far as I like. I can live with it on that guitar becuase I have enough other ones I change off on stage.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@shadewalker)

It really depends on the tension of the strings. It may not even be necessary to install an additional spring, but simply tighten the existing springs.I stumbled across this page recently that covers the topic - hope it helps.

Going up a gauge will most likely wack your intonation since the bridge position will change. Adjusting it takes some patience with a floating trem. The truss rod adjustment, I think is, in entirely optional. If you like your strings more loose and floppy (like the 9-gauges), increasing the neck relief will help, from my experience entirely - some people might advise you against doing this. It's a matter of preference.

ReplyQuote