Clear all

Fret buzz

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kraco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My new Epi LP Custom started buzzing tonight while I was playing it. The bottom string is the worst, it even sounds almost dead at the lower frets. The higher up I go on the fret board the better it sounds. But all the strings are doing it. My house has bad lighting and it's hard to see anything to really check it out, and I don't really not know what to look for anyway, any suggestions?

I bought this from Musicians Friends a little over a month ago. Will I need to send it back to them or right to Epi if it needs repairs? I'll call the tomorrow anyway, just thought maybe one of you have been down this road before?

I put new strings on it when I got it, I think they're Gibisons #10's but I can't remember for sure. It's been playing great from day one, until tonight.

(@denny)
Reputable Member

Is the guitar tuned to pitch?

ReplyQuote
(@kraco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Is the guitar tuned to pitch?

Yeah, it's tuned to pitch. I discovered if I push up just a little from under the neck it stops the buzz and the strings ring out much nicer too. Would that mean the truss rod needs adjusting? I've never done it before but I was just reading about it and it doesn't seem that hard. Or should I take it to a shop or something? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

This link might help, I discovered it one day and it's basically a way to figure out where the buzz could be coming from.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

It's really for acoustic guitars but I think you'll find it helpful.

As far as the truss rod, I personally wouldn't do it myself but I'm quite paranoid of trying to fix my own guitars.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kraco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This link might help, I discovered it one day and it's basically a way to figure out where the buzz could be coming from.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/BuzzDiagnosis/buzzintro.html

It's really for acoustic guitars but I think you'll find it helpful.

As far as the truss rod, I personally wouldn't do it myself but I'm quite paranoid of trying to fix my own guitars.
Thanks Steve! I'll check out that link.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It sounds like a truss rod adjustment. When a truss rod is too tight, it will stretch the neck out straight and actually force the headstock downward. Your neck is shaped like a frown. When you try to fret at the lower frets 1-5 usually, you will get fret buzz. The solution is to relieve tension on the neck by turning the truss rod counter-clockwise.

Just the opposite is too much relief. This is when you loosen the truss rod too much. The strings are able to pull the headstock upward, your neck is shaped like a smile. With this condition you will often get fret buzz between frets 5-12. When you press down on the strings at these frets they touch a fret higher up the neck. I have said this many times, but imagine a string suspended over a bowl. As you press the string down over the center of the bowl, eventually the string will touch the rim of the bowl. This is what happens when your truss rod is too loose and your neck has an upward bow.

First, always mark the position of the truss rod screw so you can return to the original position if need be.

Go in very small increments. Loosen all strings slack, turn the truss rod screw only maybe 1/8 turn. Retune the guitar to correct pitch and see if the buzz is corrected. Be patient, it might take you 4 or 5 adjustments to get it correct. Just take your time and go in small increments.

Turn clockwise to tighten the truss rod.

Turn counter-clockwise to loosen the truss rod.

You usually want a little relief or upward bow in the neck. Look down the neck from the headstock to the body on the bass E string side of the neck. The neck should look fairly straight with just a slight upcurve between frets 3-5. This is good. If the neck looks dead straight you probably have the truss rod too tight. If the neck has a big upcurve you have too much relief.

Some guitarists will tighten the truss rod very tight to straighten the neck out very straight. This will give you dead-low action. But if you go too far you will get fret buzz at the lower frets.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kraco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wes, really appreciate the great explanation! I have a question, I understand why you would need to loosen the strings when you tighten the truss rod but why is it necessary when you loosen it? Not that I think your wrong, I just don't understand it. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote