Clear all

Fret buzz on G string

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jimhet)
Topic starter  

G'day all

I have a LP copy and am having problems with my G string. From the 12th fret up the is some annoyning fret buzz. I've tried raising the action but it is still noticable (by feel more than by ear if that makes sense) & I'm not keen to raise it any higher. All other strings are OK (even with the action lowered to where I like it).

I have recently changed strings from 10's to 9's.

Any ideas?

(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Try looking to see which fret the string is hitting.Its probably a problem with the height of the fret rather than the action.Shouldnt be to much of a problem to get the fret smoothed off a bit.If that sounds a bit to much like hard work go back to using the 0.10's.Try a different make of 0.10's if you found your old ones hard to play.They all play diffently even though they are technically the same size.Hope this helps.What strings did you have and what ones have you got now?

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I have few guitars that rattle and buzz, thye have for years, since you can't hear it over the amp I don't even mess with them. If it does then you'll need to set the guitar up or have a shop do the work for you. Generally you can get by just changing one size of string , however setting the guitar up or checking adjustments is always a good thing to do.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

Check your relief at the 12 fret. Your guitars action may have been setup very low with 10s. By droping string size from 10s to 9s you also reduce the tention on the neck causing it to straighten out resulting in fret buzz. You may have to adjust (increase the tention) of your truss rod to increase neck bow. Check here: ttp://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pro1.htm

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Check your intonation at the 12th, as well. You often have to readjust the bridge after changing string guage, this will probably lengthen the G string slightly and require slightly greater tension to bring it into tune. You might find that, after putting the bridge where it belongs and adjusting all the strings accordingly, you've regained enough tension to pull the neck back into shape.
I often develop buzzes during the setup process that disappear once everything is put where it belongs. You have to do these things systematically: Change strings, tune, adjust relief if needed or desired, set intonation. You now might be able to reduce or have to increase the relief and/or bridge height, but if you do, you have to retune and recheck the intonation. Always, on the last round of adjustments, you have to follow the sequence: tune->relief->bridge height->intonation->play.
Of course this won't help if a bad fret is the problem. You can also try gently tapping a fret down where you think it's buzzing. Sometimes they pop up ever so slightly, but enough to start a buzz.

ReplyQuote