Skip to content
fret buzz only on l...

Notifications
Clear all

fret buzz only on low e at 12th fret...whats going on?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@daytripper)
Topic starter  

i get fret buzz on the 12th fret of my gibson sg. it only happens on the low e string. any idea what the matter is. it doesnt appear that the fret is actually worn down but then again, what do i know?

any help would be great
daytripper

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My rhythm guitarist has the same thing, but on the 14th of his high E. If it's a new problem, the first thing to try is changing the string (dirty strings can buzz without hitting the fretboard). If that doesn't fix it, look at the fingerboard from the side while you play the fretted string - look above the 12th - you may have a fret that's slightly high. If that's the case, a luthier could dress it for you and eliminate the problem.

Worst case would be the neck warping, but if you've taken care of the guitar, that actually doesn't happen too often.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alexk)
Eminent Member

I had a problem with that, and most likely the 13th fret is a little high (or the 12th fret is a little low) where the low E string is. Sight the neck and look to see if the 13th fret looks high, or take a straight edge and see if it can balance on the 13th fret. If so, put a ruler over the fret and softly hit that part of the fret with a hammer a few times. Check again to see if it's high, and if so, repeat. That's what solved my problem. Since you've got such a nice guitar though, you might want to check with a tech to make sure that's what's really wrong with the guitar. They can probably tell you if a fret is high or low or if there's a problem with the neck. I doubt it's a problem with the neck though, because then it'd probably be in more than one fret.

ReplyQuote