Clear all

fret height

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a guitar with medium jumbo frets and I use electric 10s on it for strings. They are "light," and I have run into the problem that when I fret a note or chord, the height of the frets causes too much of a bend in the string I am fretting, resulting in notes which are just a hair out of tune. I posted this before and tried raising my action some (my frets were buzzing too), but it still is resulting in too sharp a pitch. What can I do? Are their strings available in a heavier 10 guage? What about filing frets. I've heard this is not the thing to do, but am at a loss for solutions....

Thanks
:D
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

This is a technique problem, more than anything. You're pressing way too hard. Just lighten up enough that the note stays at the correct pitch, and your playing will improve all around. You don't want to press the string down to the fingerboard; it's just the to hold the frets for you. You could get heavier strings, like 11 or 12 gauge, but that won't fix the underlying problem: you're fretting the strings too hard. It will continue to slow down your playing and hurt your fingers and your arm.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I figured that was a possiblity too. I've played acoustic for the majority of my time up until the past year or so, but the electric I had previously had lower frets, so the amount of pressure exerted wasn't an issue. I'm simply used to having to bar hard, etc. in order to get a clean tone. Thanks for the tip

:) Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@alexk)
Eminent Member

Fretting on an acoustic is different than fretting on an electric, especially one with low action. You should not exert very much force at all on the fret, just a tiny bit in order to lower that string the 1/2 centimeter it takes to touch the fret. It should almost feel like your hands are flying over the board, and it should feel very relaxing.

ReplyQuote