Clear all

fret nick

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

there's a small nick on the fourth fret below the high-e string. it only affects playing when i bend, but it's really annoying. i think it happened when the guitar was dropped, since the nick is the width of a string. there's a small divot, and next to it, the metal is pushed up, like this ----v^-----. i don't want to spend the $ to get it refretted if possible, and would like to fix it myself, but i'm afraid of doing more damage. any one know how to fix this sort of problem? i don't mind the divot so much, as i do the small hump, since it catches the string. how do i polish it down?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As long as the divot doesn't annoy, you can carefully file down the hump and polish the result using extra-fine steel wool. You should be careful not to overfile. As you finish, recreate the original fret profile. Normally, the profiling would be restored with a crowning file, but I doubt this is necessary. A small fine-toothed flat file will probably do. Mask off the surrounding area to protect the guitar and its pups from filings and steel wool leavings.

It might pay to take it to a tech who has a proper set of files and is less likely to go too far. Once the strings are removed, I doubt this is more than a 10 minute job for a tech.

The other option is to replace that one fret.

Good luck - Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

thanks. i figured about as much... how much do you think a tech would charge?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Not sure, as I practice DIY. But elsewhere on the site, people are pricing a dressing and setup at $100. So I guess you'd likely end up paying a minimum repair rate for such a minor repair. Be surprised if it cost more than $25.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wondering if you could fill in the divot with solder? Or would that be too soft?

Plus think of the accuracy needed to not get it everywhere. :roll:

If anyone has heard of Crona-tron welding products, they manufacture solder that you can melt with a lighter. Strong as anything I've used. :)

They are located near Charlotte, NC.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wondering if you could fill in the divot with solder? Or would that be too soft?

Plus think of the accuracy needed to not get it everywhere. :roll:

If anyone has heard of Crona-tron welding products, they manufacture solder that you can melt with a lighter. Strong as anything I've used. :)

They are located near Charlotte, NC.

Not only is solder too soft and difficult to flow onto many alloys, heating can loosen some frets.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote