Notifications
Clear all

Frets not even

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@uvogin)
Topic starter  

my guitar keeps buzzing whenever i press down on the first second and third frets, but i noticed that when i used a straight edge the second and third fret r lower than the first and fourth, and im only getting buzzing when on the A string every other string has no buzz so im not sure what to do.

(@steves6)
Trusted Member

Take it to a Shop and have it Fixed?

ReplyQuote
 JonA
(@jona)
Eminent Member

Where is the buzz coming from?

Put your ear near the fourth fret and listen; then put your ear near the bridge. Also, put your ear near the head; I've had my guitars buzz at the head when the strings aren't wound exactly right.

From your description you will probably find that the buzz is coming from the 4th fret.

You say it buzzes when fretted at 2 and 3, and that frets 1 and 4 are higher than 2 and 3. So it seems reasonable that fret 4 is too high and is hitting the string when you fret it anywhere lower than 4, but not at 1 because frets 1 and 4 are about the same height.

A good test: Fret at 1 and push the string down directly on top of the fourth fret. Does it go down a little? Do you hear a small 'click' as it hits the fret? Now fret at 2 and 3 and do the same thing. If there is no click and you don't see the string going down, then it means the string is sitting on the fourth fret.

Some questions: Is this guitar new? Is this the first time you have had this problem? Have you tuned it differently lately? Is it electric or acoustic?

Jon

ReplyQuote