Clear all

gauge question

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well i was tuneing my guitar and a string kinda snapped im still new to this so i guess trial and error he i come but i should replace all the strings being as though this is a used guitar and i was wondering how do i know what gauge to go with being as though i dont know what it came with...

Jerm

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You have a couple of options. You can take the guitar to the local (guitar) shop and ask them to give you the same that's already on - they should measure them. The other option is to go with what the guitar was originally sold with. If it's a Strat-type, you'll need 9-42s, if it's an LP-type you'll probably need 10-46s. What type of guitar is it?
It may be worth while having the shop do a set-up - check with them what it would cost. A set-up is like taking your car in for a tune-up.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

its a dean avalanche i think

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ive only had it for a week and it was used so no tellin how old the strings on it were

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Looking at the Dean site, I'd think that it would come with 9-42s on it.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thats what ill try then any specific brand?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's always worth paying a bit extra for a known name, such as Ernie Ball, GHS Boomers or D'Addario.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

thats what ill try then any specific brand?

As far as strings.. I use size 10s on all my electrics.. Its easier for me when I buy strings by the 10 pack :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, Dagwood, but JeremyD is probably fairly new to guitar and won't be buying a 10pack. And the 9's will make it easier for him to learn with. Later on, he can experiment with thicker string guages and the possibility of neck adjustments that might be needed.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yah im gonna go with 9-s but the damn guitar store around here closes at 6pm and im at work now so im gonna have to wait till tomorow that sucks bad!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, JeremyD, later when you are better and need more strings, you can order a bunch online and they will come to you.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote