Clear all

Gold Humbuckers

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@addinall)
Topic starter  

G'Day.
I have a Gibson - Epiphone Les Paul Custom 2003 Limited Release Eric Clapton re-Issue.
The machine is fine (one of the pots is a bit scritchy, hmmm) and the body is 100%.
Sounds nice as well ;-) However, I am losing a bit of the gold from the golden bits.
Anyone know if you can get these things re-goldified? Or do I put up with a slightly
less than perfect plank?

I'm shoving the noise through a Fender (new) Frontman 212R. The combo is VERY
sweet indeed.

Cheese,
Mark.

"One of the hallmarks of the baby boomer generation is that it doesn't live like the previous generation. It hasn't yet given up jeans and T-shirts or beer."

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Put up with the slightly imperfect appearance as a sign of honest use, take pride in that, and remember that many are paying extra now for fake wear on new guitars!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@addinall)
Topic starter  

Ah yeah. Buying jeans already faded complete with rips. I never did figure that one out.....

Mark.

"One of the hallmarks of the baby boomer generation is that it doesn't live like the previous generation. It hasn't yet given up jeans and T-shirts or beer."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You can get pickup covers. A quick look on MF and I found these. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Neck-Position-Humbucker-Cover?sku=360930

I've got an Epi LP custom with the gold accents. I'm getting the same fading-flaking thing going on, but I really doubt it will ever bother me enough replace them.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Gold plating on guitar hardware is super thin. It's typical to see some "white" spots, especially on edges, after a few months of careful playing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Gold plating on guitar hardware is super thin. It's typical to see some "white" spots, especially on edges, after a few months of careful playing.

Sounds like a losing battle. Replace the hardware every 5 years or it won't glisten......... bah.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@addinall)
Topic starter  

Sounds like a losing battle. Replace the hardware every 5 years or it won't glisten......... bah.
Thanks all. I might just ignore them and see if I can fix the scritch in one of the pots instead. If I ever sell the thing (which I seriously doubt) I'll just stick in some new electronics. Hmmmm. Nah, don't thik I'll sell. It is a very nice bit of work. Me being a little skinny bastard makes it interesting. These things are HEAVY, and I don't mean, like, you know, dude, I mean mass. Lots of it ;-)

Cheers,
Mark.

ReplyQuote