Notifications
Clear all

guitar cleaning / tune up

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@guitaroman)
Topic starter  

Hey everybody. I'm new to guitarnoise and fairly new to the guitar. I used to play a lot then I let up, but I'm back at it now. I'm sure there has already been a board like this, so just point me in the right direction..

What is a good cleaner for the body of the guitar, the fretboard, and even the pickups.

And another thing.. this is more of a problem. I couldn't find a "repair" section to post this in, but maybe I'm just blind.

Whenever I hit any note higher than the 12th fret (13th fret and up) on my B and high E strings, the sound is dead. I think it may be because the strings are too tight; but I've changed them many times and always come out with this same problem. I play an ESP EC-50 with the tune-o-matic style bridge and stopbar tailpiece.

Thank you all for your help, and sorry to the administrators if I posted this in the wrong spot. Don't kill me. :)
-- The Guitaroman

"I guess you can call me the old noob."

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

There is this section here .... https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

Could be string action / neck adjustment issues. A good setup might fix things.

I just use good furniture polish to clean my guitars but they do sell comercially made stuff just for guitars in music stores. (It's expensive) I use lemon oil on my fingerboards. (It's really lemon scented mineral oil) It's made for wood. A fellow here called Ricochet uses olive oil and I have tried it. It works well. Again, there are special products available at music stores.

Oh yeah ...... welcome to Guitar Noise! :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And if it's not really nasty, often the best way to clean the surface finish is to breathe on it so it fogs over with condensation, and polish it off with a soft cloth. No special products necessary, other than your own respiratory byproducts. 8)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

And if it's not really nasty

If it is really nasty Dan Erlewine in his book reccomends lighter fluid for both body and fretboard. Just be careful with it because it is, after all, flammable (and inflammable funnily enough).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@guitaroman)
Topic starter  

Well...I can't believe I missed the GUITAR REPAIR section.

Anyway, the guitar is looking pretty darn good if I say so myself, and I'm going to start the more mechanical work tomorrow.

A Major thanks to you who replied; you're a good welcoming party.
-the cleaning guitaroman

"I guess you can call me the old noob."

ReplyQuote