Guitar Neck Help! Please!

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mth5044)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Here's the lowdown:

I'm assembling a guitar from parts off the internet and I'm at a part where the neck I have has holes drilled into it, but they are not at the correct places and they are too big. Can I fill this up with a wood epoxy? Or is there a better way?

Another, probably worse thing that has happened, was I drilled the first hole in the body's neck pocket and it went alright, then the next hole happened. The drill bit snapped when it was almost all the way through and got stuck in the wood. I managed to get it out with a plyers, but now the width of the holes is like two drill bits went down on it. I was considering filling up this hole also with epoxy then redrilling.

I guess the main question here is can epoxy stand drilling and can it hold screws? Or is there a better way to fix what I have wronged on this guitar? Thanks for your answers!

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Others may have different/better ideas, but when I am confronted with a case like this;
In the past, I have drilled the holes to a size that would accept a hardwood dowel, cut the dowel slightly longer than the depth of the hole, & glued in with Elmer's wood glue. Then cut/sand the remaining dowel flush. It will not pull out, rest assured.

If you opt for this repair, be careful not to get that wood glue on the finish, it will craze it. I repaired a strat this way once, & it never gave me a problem.
I feel epoxy is not going to "cut it" - it will be too soft. Fiberglass might work, though...
Good Luck! :)

ReplyQuote
(@mth5044)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Awesome thanks! I was also unsure about the epoxy, but I thought it might work. I like the dowel idea, maybe I will go with that instead. Also, it's an unfinished guitar, so no need to worry about it getting on the finish :mrgreen:

thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Also, it's an unfinished guitar, so no need to worry about it getting on the finish Keep water & wet cloths with you; Even unfinished, you will want to wipe any glue spill off right away. Wood glue has a resin in it that adheres like crazy & will be difficult to remove after it dries, even with sanding.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Never had the pleasure, but if I did I'd try the dowel and wood glue approach too. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

wood and glue to fill a messed up hole is the absolute best way.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Had a bridge on a bass I got for my son that the bridge was poorly aligned so the strings were at a slight angle on the neck. It was the 3nd one after 2 returns so I decided I would fix it myself. Long story short, I used dowels to plug the old holes and drilled new ones. Worked great.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Wood glue has a resin in it that adheres like crazyAlways a handy thing for a glue to have... :wink: :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@mth5044)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot everyone, I will be getting some dowels and wood glue and getting right on it. Thanks!

ReplyQuote