Clear all

Help!!! Epi LP Studio Wiring Problem?!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-b)
Topic starter  

Hi -

I just bought a new Epi LP Studio. I put on new strings and set it up to my liking. Then I plugged it in and the only position that works is the bridge position. I know I could just return it, but I really like this particular guitar and I'm pretty good with electronics, so I'm hoping I can fix it myself. I really hope someone here can help me? Here is what it does, and what I have done:

I checked the wiring/operation of the switch, and everything looks fine. I also checked the wiring of all the controls and everything looks okay there. I used an ohm meter on the outer lugs of each of the volume pots to measure the pickups (it appears this would be the correct way to do this, as they are the - and + of the pickup wiring). The bridge reads 13.08k. But the neck read .10k. However, when I removed the + lead of the pickup from the pot and measured it, it read about 8.3k. When I hooked it back up, it again read .10k.

Here is the interesting part. I was messing with the switch and controls while playing, and I found that: with the switch in the middle position and both volumes all the way up, I got no sound, but when I rotated the neck volume between 1 and 10, I was getting sound between about 2 through 9 - but only from the bridge pickup. When the neck volume was all the way up, or all the way down, I got no sound. And, if I turned the bridge volume all the way down, I got no sound at all.

Could it be the neck volume pot? Or the pickup?

Any info/help/ideas are GREATLY appreciated, as I hate to send this guitar back...

Thanks in advance!

(@dave-b)
Topic starter  

When I went to my local music store and explained the problem, he informed me that he is an Authorized Epiphone Repair Shop and would fix it for me free. So, as much as I like doing things myself, you can't beat that!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I know your getting this taken care of by that shop and that is good, but did you test the toggle switch or just visually inspect it? I have had a similar problem a few times with new guitars with toggle switches. Once I even made the company send me a new switch needlessly. I think it might be what they lubricate them with or something, but when I have had this problem I have fixed it by cleaning the contacts on the switch with some alcohol. I have done this with success three times so far. I did get a bad volume pot once though, but the way you described it's operation in the center position makes me think switch. Just curious what you find out is all. Good luck with that guitar. It sounds nice.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dave-b)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response trguitar. Yeah, I just visually inspected the switch. I'll make sure to find out what the problem was when I get it back, but I'm starting to think it was the switch also. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote