Notifications
Clear all

help floyd rose pivot post reglue ...

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gypsypunk)
Topic starter  

hi i have a older model Fernande's revolver pro .. i had a problem with the Floyd rose but found that the bridge posts had become loose . on inspection i found there was no damage to the holes but there was a little looseness and the pins will go back in the holes but to will need some pressure to be fully inserted .. can anyone help what glue can i use as this is a simple fix

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

If you use much glue, it gets airtight, and the post may not go all the way in. There's a type of hydraulic pressure pushing the post, or pin back up.

Depending on how much space you have in the holes, you may insert a lining of thin paper, (cigarette paper or air mail), glue it in with yellow wood glue around the hole (= line the hole), or maybe half way - but it depends on if there is space. Press it flat around the hole with a flat toothpick. That's basically a gasket. Let that dry for a day, then with a light touch of the same carpenter's glue spread on the knurling by finger, press the posts in. It won't take much glue to hold it, and the overflow can be cleaned with water. The paper is optional - only if it's loose or sloppy.

Some techs, or a luthier might use the other method - the alternate, sometimes thicker type of post that goes into a bushing. It's harder to install, and you have to drill and sink the bushings. I have Elmer's glue here at the moment - used it to install a new end pin in acoustic (wrapped that in paper a day ahead), but there are many brands including Titebond.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote