Notifications
Clear all

HELP! Guitar pops/clicks when touching strings

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@ixelion)
Topic starter  

Okay, a while ago I had and Epiphone LP Studio and a Marshal MG 15W I was not having any technical problems at that time.

Recently I have swapped the Marshal for a Roland Cube 30W and now I get the most annoying sound (I am still using the LP studio)

Every time I lightly touch a string I hear a "pop" or a "click" this happens when I touch any metal part of the guitar not just the strings.

I tried using an Ibanez SA on the Roland and I got the same clicking, popping sound.

I also plugged the LP into a Fender Frontman 15W, and it only popped and clicked a bit but not nearly as much (or as loud) as the Roland.

The Marshal didn't pop or click with any guitar.

An email to Roland suggested a grounding problem, I have tried using different cables and plugging it into different outlets (although in the same house).

So here is what I suspect:

There is something wrong with the pickups on the LP (but the Ibanez clicks a little too so I don't understand) - fix or replace the pickups?

There is something wrong with power outlet, and I can hear the popping in the Roland because it has higher wattage than the Marshall or the Fender (30W vs 15W)? - whats the solution for this?

There is something wrong with the Roland? In which case I would have to get it fixed/replaced.

Also would a noise suppressor get rid of this popping, clicking?

Thanks for any advice.