Clear all

help with a scratch wanted

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Had new guitar for christmas,got drunk on new years eve and scratched it! Its an Ibanez electric acoustic with a cedar top light colour with a matt finish.Just wondered if theres a easy way of removing the scratch or at least making it less obvious.I know it adds character and all that but its a beautiful guitar and my wife bought it for me as a surprise.I was gutted new years day.Any help much appreciated.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If it is a very very light scratch you may be able to just sand it lightly with 1600 grit paper. If it is deeper it may need sanding and refinishing.

You could also try the old English furniture scratch remover. Just need to pick a color close to the guitar. By the way, they are all gloss but wiping it on and off should eliminate the gloss.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@the-gypsy)

A superfine cutting compound is often used for this type of work. It's better to do the whole area if possible, but the cut and polish needs to be done with care. Take your time and used the finest grade of compound possible. Some music shops sell cutting compound designed especially for musical instruments.

I Ain't No Rocker!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

3M has some good stuff.

But here's something you might want to try. If it's a small inconspicuous spot, try some CD scratch remover.

ReplyQuote