Notifications
Clear all

help with floyd rose and wood cracked

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@metal_head_t)
Topic starter  

was wondering if there was anyone good with guitar repairs, i have a jackson with floyd rose that busted on me the other day and i want to try and fix it myself before sending it to a repair shop
here's the probem i have

i was thinking of screwing two small metal plates oni each side, but was wondering if it would effect my sound, any help is good help
thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A plate with screw won't fix this. Gluing is usually the preferred approach, and will yield a much stronger repair, as proper gluing bonds all the surface area for max strength. A screwed-in plate probably will crack around the screws before long.

If the wood is too damaged around the studs to properly hold them, then a more complicated, but very effective repair is to remove (route out) a larger section or plug of wood and glue in new replacement wood. The re-route the cavity shape as required, and redrill the bridge stud holes. If you choose a wood similar to the rest of the body the repair should be very strong and servicable. If the body is soft stuff like swamp ash, then use stronger and denser wood for the repair (e.g., regular ash, alder). This repair will require repainting though ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yep....

I'd get a dowel that matches the size of the original hole, glue it in and clamp the rest of the area around it.

Let that dry. Redrill the hole and put it back together.

ReplyQuote