Clear all

Help with Yamaha RBX270

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@matrix)
Topic starter  

Hello-

I'm repairing a used Yamaha RBX270, that among other things, has a smashed J pickup (the long one). I took it off, and I see one wire isn't even attached, and copious amounts of crumbled red wax all over the place. It looks like someone physically tore the gray wire out. The end is stripped and mangled, but no signs of solder.

Is this repairable? I'm guessing not, so I have a bit of a newbie question...where can I get an inexpensive, simple replacement pickup? I've been doing a lot of research online, and everyone mentions high-end, expensive stuff. What is a good but inexpensive pickup that will directly fit without any modification?

Thanks.

-TM

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Would one of these do it for you? $30 seems like an affordable price.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Bass-Guitar-Pickups_c_97.html

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@matrix)
Topic starter  

That sounds like a pretty good deal. But, now I'm not sure if the pickup needs to be replaced after all. Turns out the one yellow wire coming out of it is actually coax...so there are my two connections. What the heck was that gray wire stuffed into the wax for? It was (crudely) connected to ground. Upon closer inspection it isn't even the same type/gauge as the yellow wire, so I think someone just stuffed the gray one into there in a misguided attempt to get rid of interference.

Thanks for the link though, I very well might go that route if things don't work with this one.

ReplyQuote