Clear all

homemade pickups

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i saw a kit in the stew-mac catalog for building your own pickups. they have both sc and humbucker kits and they list a recommended amount of winds for each. i know the amount of winds has a lot to do with the output and sound of a pickup, but i was wondering what would happen if you went beyond the winding for the hottest pickups? example, it lists a "hot" single coil as having 6-8000 winds. well, what would it sound like if it had 15000 or 20000 winds? would you just end up with a really loud, really muddy pickup? or am i just reinventing the p90? it's too bad i don't have the money to blow experimenting, i'm a typical broke teenage musician :lol:

so does anybody have experience with this sort of thing?

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Start here: http://www.firebottle.com/fireforum/fireBB.cgi?cfg=gt&forum=pmgd&enter=go

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

cool site, very helpful! thanks!

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're welcome. Lots of the indie pickup makers hang out there, probably a lot of the big companies' tech people do, too, and you can learn a lot from them.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, any modification you do to the pickups will effect the out come.

Here's a site with some useful information. Theory and Practice of Magnetic Pickups

Joe

ReplyQuote