Notifications
Clear all

Hot rails wiring idea, is it possible?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@upsidedownside)
Topic starter  

I've recently been toying with the idea of a strat project (although I've played for years, I've never really owned a strat).

I like the strat sound, but I also play a lot of different styles (covers and function bands), so my idea was to have hot rails in each position.

I've not had much luck with coil splitting in the past (volume drops and hum mostly) so I was thinking about trying a series-parallel switching option for each pickup.

So here is the idea:

3 on-on-on toggles instead of the 5 way.

position 1 - off for each pickup
position 2 (middle) - Parallel (I hear that you can get a noise free, single coil-ish sound from hotrails like this)
Position 3 - full humbucker

this, in theory, would give me a sort of strat option, humbucker option, and all of the bridge/neck/all three combinations too.

would this work?
how might one go about wiring it?

Many thanks

Jamie

(@jmann)

interesting idea but the i don't think the on on on switches will work for that. you could use dpdt or spst toggles for one of those things at a time(on/off for each puckup probably) and use push pulls for the parallel switching, it will look the same as what you described but it will have a few more switches.

ReplyQuote
(@jmann)

your idea got me thinking after i posted that last one there. i think if you used an on-off-on you could do it if you were ok with the middle position being off.

ReplyQuote