Skip to content
how do i get rid of...

Notifications
Clear all

how do i get rid of string buzz and keep good action?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sykopathik-69)
Topic starter  

i have a floyd rose and i just had it set up at shop but the strings are buzzing on the frets.the action is really good but the buzzing sounds like crap.what can i do to change this but keep good action?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Take it back. A competent tech should know better than to deliver a setup than buzzes excessively, as well as be able to correctly diagnose root causes of buzzing, e.g., neck relief, fret wear and fret levelness. Or maybe it wasn't even set up to manufacture's spec. If the tech can't set it up properly and/or tell you why it's buzzing, ask for a refund and take it elsewhere for service.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

With things like this, it's also good to take an objective look at the way you play. Set up is a very personal thing, if you're guitar is set up super low, but you are strumming really hard, that could be messing you up.

Also, if you're finger pressure is insufficient, that could be getting you too. This is pretty common if you're brand new to guitar, or if you just switched from a guitar with a vastly different feel, larger frets, tighter fingerboard radius, etc.

Another thing to check is that if you've made modifications to the guitar since you had it set up: changing string gauge or for example, or blocked your trem, those things could definitely change your setup.

Of course, you could have just gotten a really bad setup, and it's certainly something to look into, just make sure to explore all your options before you go pointing fingers and demanding refunds.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote