Notifications
Clear all

How to change the bridge..?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@carnage)
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez guitar (make and model escape me at the moment) which has a floating bridge. Theres nothing wrong with it, keeps it in tune but since I want to branch out and play songs in different tunings and this guitar current set up will not suffice. Im just wondering how easy it would be to change the bridge over to a static one. What I would need to be careful about, distance etc, would I have to change anything on the neck since its got locking bolts. If anyone knows of a step by step guide that would be great :)

Either that or I buy a new guitar :/

(@alangreen)

You made a duplicate post, so I've deleted the other copy as this one had more views.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Get us the model and type of trem/bridge. That will help us make reasonable and useful suggestions.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@grwagner)

My son's got a GRG 270, and with that bridge it would be very difficult to change to a static bridge. Main problem is that the bridge is recessed into the body. And then you have the spring cavity underneath.

Options (none very good)
- Put a hardwood shim under the back of the bridge, flush with the top, and replace the springs with steel rods. Make sure all the rods are the same length. Then tighten the claw screws until the bridge is locked in place (have a look at a Clapton Stratocaster).

- Hard-tail Strat style flush mount bridge: you'd need to take your bridge off completely, fill in the recess to lift up the mounting area flush with the body of the guitar, and find a bridge with the right string spacing and intonation adjustment range for your Ibanez. Difficult to do, but in theory possible.

- Gibson style "Tune-o-matic" bridge: you'd need to be very, very careful about measuring where the bridge posts will go. They'll have to be mounted somewhere behind the existing ones, in line with the leading edge slot of the string clamps. There is not much wood left there due to the recess and the proximity of the spring cavity. Very tricky.

Me, I'd buy another guitar...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It doesn't have to be that difficult. I want a pic to ID the most effect blocking point(s).

So pics of the top of the guitar in the trem/bridge region and the same from the rear with the spring cover removed would be most useful.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@peesho)

I dont know much about bridges and their repair but i do know that you can block a floyd rose bridge pretty easy and it can be used as a fixed bridge then. You remove the locking nuts which you can keep somewhere. No need to change anything in the neck. Use the same nut without the locking screws and you have a bridge which you can use for all kinds of alternate tunings. Heres a link on how to do it yourself, but i also remember seeing some professional companies which make these special blocks for floyd rose's. So check it out, it might be of some help.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/Guitars/FR-FixedBridge.htm

ReplyQuote