Notifications
Clear all

Huge chunk out of Strat body..

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@drummerflea)
Topic starter  

My first guitar, a Stratocaster in black. I loved it so, then my mother knocked it off the wall, onto my metal weights. It still makes me sad when I look at it.. It has a knock to the front, two chips in the top, and on the side near the strap nut, there is a chunk missing. Is there some sort of filler that I could use to fill the hole? Would I be able to have it re-laqured in black, and look as if it wasn't there? And if so.. How much would it cost me here in London, England? Thanks, if you help.. I want to play my love again!

(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear about your guitar troubles. I really like my strat. It is 13 years old and very VERY few scratches. I would feel really bad if that happened.

If you could post some pics. That may help someone in giving advice.

Good Luck!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

maybe this is a chance to do a custom mod? check out the many sites on the web that sell bodys , paint , etc, and let your baby be reborn.
here's a good one to start with http://www.warmoth.com/
good luck :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Pictures would definitely help. What some say is a gouge may be tiny. What some say is tiny may be huge.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@drummerflea)
Topic starter  

Sadly I dont have a camera, but my finger lies in the gouge well.. If that gives you an idea.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Okay, WOW, that sounds like a River Gorge. Sorry to hear that. I've not done any repairs that large. There have been a few other threads around here on some repairs of that nature. I'm sure someone will direct you there or give you the info you need.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I would assume that you could patch it with some kind of filler, such as Bondo (used for cars) or something more specific for wood.
You want to make certain it doesn't fall off after it dries.

This site may help:
http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

First, sand the finish off the guitar.

Second, find yourself someone near you who does woodworking.

What you want is a a bunch of fine sawdust from a semi-dense hardwood. Adler (what most strat's are made of) would be ideal, but any wood of similar density will work.

Mix yourself up a bunch of 2 part epoxy. You can buy it at most hardwar estores. Tell them you're filling in a broken up piece of wood and you'll get the right stuff. While you're there, go by the wall area and get yourself a little metal putty knife.

Mix the epoxy together in a big container you don't care about. Toss in your sawdust and mix it up till it's the consistency of oatmeal cookie dough. Really thick!

Use your putty knife and lay it into wherever you need to build up.

Get it a little bit more than the final thickness, but try and keep it smooth and not too much extra. Epoxy doesn't shrink when it dries.

When it dries, sand it smooth.

Prime and paint your guitar.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

I believe there are pictures and commentary on this repair at http://www.frets.com

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

As you are in London, I'd take the guitar to Denmark St, there'll be at least one shop there that can help, or at least steer you right.

ReplyQuote