Clear all

I Goofed on my Favorite Axe

17 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I know I should be heart broken. I was changing the posts & busings in prep for new saddle and tail piece for my Epi LP Custom. Kind of a double purpose thing. The old parts will go into my home made slab-o-wood slide guitar.

The LP has been my favorite for years. To be sure of what I was doing, I watched a couple of videos and saw a technique that looked and in fact, was easy. However, I did not score the area of paint around the bushing head. I'm not sure it would have made a difference.

What resulted was a paint chip 1/2" lon and 1/3rd inch wide, sort of in the shape of a moon. The person whe installed the bushing in the first place used a ton of glue just in this one bushing. I'm not sure scoring would have done anything, but I did the remaining three anyhow and had no further issues.

The real salt in the wound came when the tail piece bushing hole was not deep enough for the new bushings. I put the old ones back in and tried the new tail piece and it would not fit. So, the tail piece, post and bushings are all original now, and the paint chip is glued into place. You can see the line between the chip and the rest of the paint, but it's not horrible.

Somehow, I am not all that heart broken over this. The noisey saddle is gone. That part went fine. Some tuning, retuning, adjusting string height and retuning It plays great, sounds great and is better than new as far as I'm concerned, except that chip. I think some black fingernail polish ought to do the trick. I'm a little bit bummed, but not heartbroken. Kind of like that first scratch on your new car or motorcycle. Something is bound to happen.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Oh thats a bummer. A lot of people bash the Epi's but I gotta tell you, I love mine!!!! I havent gotten that first scrach on mine yet....Im sure its coming soon though!!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A lot of people bash the Epi's but I gotta tell you, I love mine!!!!
I've got a pair of Epi LPs and love 'em both. This one might have been left aone if I didn't want the lower side hardware and decided to use it as an opportunity to "upgrade". BTW, that Guitar Fetish saddle really doesn't rattle like the wire loaded stock one. I might do it on the other guitars using that saddle with the wire. TR turned me on to it.

TR, if you see this thread, one question. Do you change the busings as well, or just slide the saddle on?

This is the saddle I'm referring to. http://store.guitarfetish.com/Large-Bushing-Tuneomatic-Style-Gold-Bridge_p_445.html

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

What do you mean wire filled??

Ive been lucky...mine is not rattling any. When I do start upgrading I want to go to the nickle finish myself...

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

If you look at some bridges/saddles, some have a single wire clip thing running from end to end. The one on my custom was noisy. I've been told that the wire was the cause, or at least it was the ones with the wire in it that were noisy.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

This might hurt Roy. Remember this PM I sent you?
Sent: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:28 am
To: rparker

Cool guitar! The bridge I would order is this one. http://www.guitarfetish.com/Large-Bushi ... p_445.html I leave the old incerts in the guitar and screw the new posts into them. These bridges fit Epi Les Pauls perfectly. Let me know how you make out on both fronts!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

If you look at some bridges/saddles, some have a single wire clip thing running from end to end. The one on my custom was noisy. I've been told that the wire was the cause, or at least it was the ones with the wire in it that were noisy.
Ill have to check that. I dont remember seeing it.... but cant say I realy looked.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This might hurt Roy. Remember this PM I sent you?
Re: Remember? Not one of my stronger suits these days. I should have gone back and looked. Face-palm time.
Re: Hurt? Yup. Oddly enough, one more than the other. :wink: :lol:

I tell ya, stupid, stupid stupid not to go back and look to see. 20/20 hindsight working at it's peak. :evil: :evil:

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey let's see probably no owrse than when I had my Harley, chromed it all up over the winter, went to do a wheelie to impress a girl ended up getting dragged across the road and both me and the bike had plenty of road rash.

Needless to say I wanted to cry but not sure why...because of the pebbles stuck in my skinor the left side of the bike that was totally scrapped up etc.

At least all is not lost!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Awe, it just has character now. Nail polish ought to work just fine.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

cnev, I can't imagine the double whammy of that kind of hurt.

TR, that's what I was figgering on doing. I think she's got some black polish floating around here somewhere for a custom she did.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

What do you mean wire filled??

Ive been lucky...mine is not rattling any. When I do start upgrading I want to go to the nickle finish myself...
I spoke too soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulled my LP out of the case for the first time in a few months. [been playing the accustic latly] and that bridge is rattling like CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going to look into that GFS bridge. Has it still been working well for you guys?? How about the stop piece? Is the epi one OK, or should I swap that also?

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm pretty sure he just does the saddle replacement with no stuff replacements. I imagine a parts box in his house with a couple of dozen saddle posts still in little baggies. :)

I was just playing mine now. No noise. The one one my P-93 that I just got makes noises, though. I forgot to mention elsewhere. I'll order one again soon.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yes, ZipLock bags with new bushing posts and old Epipohone ARB bridges and posts. If your guitar is Epiphone, or asian made you need the large bushing ones as in the link I posted here.

I leave the bushings in the guitar I replace the threaded posts only because I feel they are better metal. You can replace just the bridge if you want. The new posts will screw right into the existing bushings. They are cheap. Less than $15. No rattle, more travel for intonation. I just like them better.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Cool, thanks. Im going to order mine up!! I was wanting nickle, but for the price chrome will do. Gives me a chance to order some new knobs also. A few of mine are buggerd up and slip off all the time.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2