Skip to content
I got a big list an...

Notifications
Clear all

I got a big list and I need help! Fender Lead III...

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok recently I have found a relic of a guitar made by fender in 1982. Its called a lead III and right now. I need some help restoring. For either playing or reselling. Right now I have 140 $ in it. I am wondering what type of cleaning products I can use to clean up the neck from mild mold near along the freats and to remove some residue on the back of the neck. Also, What to use on the bridge to clean some residue of it.

Thanks for the help guys. It seems like I got a nice little project on my hands. Anyone who has experience with this guitars or restorations in general let me know. Or point me to a site.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Well, I just restored a c. 1982-84 Squier Jazz Bass, and for cleaning the metal parts, I took them off, and used chrome cleaner, just like you'd use on a car. As far as grime on the body, I just used first furniture polish, and then guitar polish. You can use something pointy, but not sharp to get the stuff off the fretboard by the frets. You can also polish the frets with maybe steel wool? someone help me out on that one. Just be sure to mask the fretboard. Seems like most old guitars are in need of new pickup springs, too.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If you don't mind sinking another $17.95 into the project, I suggest you buy a copy of Dan Erlewine's book How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great! It's hands down the best manual on repair, restoration and maintenance of your instrument. This book will pay for itself several times over.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member

try lighter fluid and fine steel wool

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

UPDATE... I fixed the neck pickup and replaced all the springs and adjustment screws. It should work fine. Now I just need to find replacement bridge ferrules and someone to refret it and it should play like a dream.

But the lighterfluid would clean up the pickguard screws? Also would it clean up the chrome on the bridge?

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Take the bridge off and get some chrome cleaner to clean it, that'll clean it up the best.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'll definitly do that. Thanks for the help guys. I promise to post up some pics of my little treasure this weekend!

ReplyQuote