Notifications
Clear all

I think I need a Luthier's help.

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@thegman)
Topic starter  

I have a handmade Jumbo Acoustic cutaway, made for me in 1989 by Carlo Greco. I retired the guitar in 1996 after several grueling tours and a few CD's. Until recently, the guitar had been stored "unstrung" in a climate controlled guitar vault in R.I., that several of us road warriors jointly own and have guitars stored. I went to RI and took my guitar back here to Virginia last week, cause I needed that particular sound for some new recording. After stringing with new Elixirs 12-53 polyweb, (which I use on all of my Taylors and Martins), I noticed there is a "twangy" buzz on the high E string on the first and second frets. I've playing for over 40 years so I am used to all the common problems, and causes, but for the life of me, I can not figure this one out. Frets look good, spacing is right, neck is straight. Very frustrating, for if you heard the sound quality of this box, you would understand that it needs to be fixed. I was going to take it to Carlo in NY, but I was hoping that there was a Luthier here near Washington DC that could fix it, which would cut down on travel time, and time away from my studio. Any suggestions or references, or solicitations would be appreciated. thank you. :?

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I have a handmade Jumbo Acoustic cutaway, made for me in 1989 by Carlo Greco. I retired the guitar in 1996 after several grueling tours and a few CD's. Until recently, the guitar had been stored "unstrung" in a climate controlled guitar vault in R.I., that several of us road warriors jointly own and have guitars stored. I went to RI and took my guitar back here to Virginia last week, cause I needed that particular sound for some new recording. After stringing with new Elixirs 12-53 polyweb, (which I use on all of my Taylors and Martins), I noticed there is a "twangy" buzz on the high E string on the first and second frets. I've playing for over 40 years so I am used to all the common problems, and causes, but for the life of me, I can not figure this one out. Frets look good, spacing is right, neck is straight. Very frustrating, for if you heard the sound quality of this box, you would understand that it needs to be fixed. I was going to take it to Carlo in NY, but I was hoping that there was a Luthier here near Washington DC that could fix it, which would cut down on travel time, and time away from my studio. Any suggestions or references, or solicitations would be appreciated. thank you. :?

It's a ways south of you, but closer than New York. . . he might be able to help

Rodriguez Guitars
Tom Rodriguez, luthier
929 Meyers Street
Richmond, Virginia 23230
804-358-6324
[email protected]
http://www.rodriguezguitars.com

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Hey Nick! Who do you recommend?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Action Music just outside of DC in Falls Church.

ReplyQuote