Clear all

Installing Picguard

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@brentb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I got a pick guard with my Epi Les Paul, no instructions. The only way I see to install it is put wood screws into the guitar, There's a bracket that seems to keep the guard floating and would require a screw into the side of the instrument.
Any advice on installing this?

Thanks,

brent

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Screws into wood is the way it's done. You may want to head over to a music store and look as a few LPs if you are unsure -- though you seem to have the right idea. Things that are imporant: drill pilot holes into the guitar. These should be only slightly smaller in diameter than and fully as deep as the wood screws. During drilling (and screw insertion) the finish is vulnerable to cracking. To avoid this, put a bit of transparent tape over the area to be drilled. This will reinforce the finish. Use a new, very sharp drill bit to cut through the finish as effortlessly as possible. To premark and create a starter divot for the drill bit, use the tip of a new Xacto knife or a very small, sharp drill bit spun in your fingers. Drill the holes slowly, with very light, controlled force. Use a drill press if you've got one. If you are good with a Dremel tool or similar, that makes a good handheld drill for the purpose. And the usual "Measure twice, cut (drill) once" applies here.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@brentb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the great info!

brent

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

The only thing I can add to this would be put a piece of masking tape on the drill bit to mark the depth. But even that is not necessary for what you are doing. Probably want to lightly center pucnh the hole you want to drill just to make sure the bit doesn't walk on you.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Probably want to lightly center pucnh the hole you want to drill just to make sure the bit doesn't walk on you.

I purposely did NOT suggest using any center punching, as it will crack some finishes. Instead, I suggested using a "finger spun" Xacto knife or tiny, sharp drill bit to manually mark/start the drill hole.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Probably want to lightly center pucnh the hole you want to drill just to make sure the bit doesn't walk on you.

I purposely did NOT suggest using any center punching, as it will crack some finishes. Instead, I suggested using a "finger spun" Xacto knife or tiny, sharp drill bit to manually mark/start the drill hole.

Thats what I get for skimming the last part. Oh, I forgot, I just dimple by hand, no hammers.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What's wrong with hammers? Nails are way faster than all this taping, drilling and screwing stuff! :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

esp for brain surgery

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Pneumatic nail guns seem popular for that sort of thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12425803/

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Pneumatic nail guns seem popular for that sort of thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12425803/
Hey, I got one of those. Must of been why my last guitar project went south :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Do I use a finishing nail or a sinker? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

60d spikes and a big hammer should fix anything.

ReplyQuote