Notifications
Clear all

is it ok to have a hollowbody w/o and f hole

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@swansong1098)
Topic starter  

here's my situation. my friend is making a custom guitar for me. It is gonna be a rosewood tele. i want it to have a rosewood back and top and a slab of ash in between them. i would like the ash section of the guitar to be hollowed out and just sandwich the rosewood top and back on it. i really would like the guitar to be hollow but i don't want and f hole. is it ok to have a hollow tele without and f hole??? ive seen them that are chambered but i was just gonna have him hollow out the hole thing and just put the 3 pieces together. if there is no f hole will the wood warp or something??? do f holes serve a purpose or are they for decoration??? is this a good/sturdy design for a guitar??? and advice would be awsome

thank you and keep on rockin

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

F-holes aren't necessary. Having them will lower the natural resonance of the body. For a "plugged-in" electric, especially those with smaller bodies, the tonal difference is probably negligible -- especially if the top is thick or plywood or the body has a larger center block (semi). The big advantage of no f-holes is better resistance to feedback at stage volumes.

Depending up the top thinness/design and the bridge/tailpiece type, a true hollow may need some reinforcing blocks to keep the top from collapsing. If yours will be a string-thru-body Tele, there should be a block beneath the bridge area. Even if it's not string-thru, a block between the front and back will help keep the top from bellying or cracking.

Examples of guitars sans f-holes are B.B. King's Lucille and the Reverend line.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

gretsch i think makes some guitars without the F holes as well

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Now that you mention it, that's right -- and Gretch actually painted f-holes on some of those models!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

and just from looking at pictures of them, its almost hard to tell they are painted on at times

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's a lovely old Silvertone semihollowbody with no holes hanging in my local music store right now.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

B.B. King's Lucille had no f-holes.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote