Notifications
Clear all

Looking for advice on strings

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@unioncentral)
Topic starter  

I have a Gibson J-45, and the g string breaks far too often (about once every 2 months). I am aware that some people reccomend you change strings every month, but that is expensive, and the Taylor I also have, which is played about as much, and has Elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb strings has not broken a string for 2 years, though the are beginning to wear out. These guitars are played regularly (about 16 hours/week)

The problem with the Gibson is that the G string tends to break when re-tuning (I use Open E and D often). I am not very concerned with sound, but I would like to know which strings will last long without breaking, and will endure re-tuning well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And also, cheaper strings are preferable.

(@pilot)
Estimable Member

Where are the strings breaking, specifically? If they're breaking at the bridge or the nut, then you have a physical flaw with the guitar that needs attention. Perhaps there's a burr or a sharp spot at either location that is prematurely wearing the G string out?

(I managed to type "G string" without giggling until I re-read my post.) :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@unioncentral)
Topic starter  

They are breaking where the string starts to turn around the tuning spool. I have checked this area and I see no reason for this break except possibly the location of most tension. The neck on this guitar broke many years ago, but it was fixed and I have seen no problems with it from that. I don't think it's the guitar, and think it is the strings, particularly because I re-tune.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you play roughly sixteen hours per week, the tunings change, and you break strings.

given that therte is nothing wrong with the guitar, bridge etc..Id say you are experiencing string fatigue.
changing them more often will help.
16 hrs per week is alot to ask of strings.

16hrs/1week X 2 months = 128hrs.
add sweat and extra stretching from switching open tunings.

change them.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_goddess)

I have the same problem except it's always my D string that snaps :x I have four guitars...two acoutic and two electric and its always that same string. :cry: I just change my strings at least once a month and it doesn't happen anymore.

"People Suck, Music Doesn't"~ Mick Mars

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Commonly that means the string is binding in the nut slot. You tune it up, the string starts binding, you keep turning the peg, the string doesn't slip through the slot as much as it's winding on the peg, it builds up tension in that short segment, and it's likely to break. Watch the display on the tuner. If the pitch isn't smoothly going up as you turn the peg, you've got binding. Sometimes you'll hear a "ping" as it slips.

Before you start tuning up, tune down till the string sounds noticeably flatter. That makes the string move in the slot, breaking it loose from "stiction." If you see it's binding as you tune up, you may be able to release it by lifting up on the string with your finger just above the nut. Lubing the nut slots may help. Graphite is usually recommended. It's nasty black stuff. I have used automotive grease with good success, and it's a lot neater (if you don't use the black molybdenum sulfide kind.) If you've put on heavier gauge strings, the slots will need to be enlarged. Loosening the string so you can "saw" it in the slot can take care of this problem. Make sure you bend the end of the string in the same direction as it goes to the tuner post, as it's usually hanging on the corner of the slot on the inside of the bend in the string.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote