Clear all

Marshall amp line out problem

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Marshall combo amp. It has a 1/4 line out that you can use to run into a PA. The amp is about 12 years old. It has been babied; never damaged, etc. The line out jack does not work. Any suggestions?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Would need more information like the model number, then I could check to see if I had the schematic's for it.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It's a Marshall 8040 40 watt combo. I think the line out jack is probably the problem. I would like to take the amp apart and see if any solder joints are loose, etc. Any suggestions on how to do this without electricuting myself?

P.S. I know to unplug it first!!!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well, you could always take it to the place you bought it from and talk to them about it, or if you know of any repair shops then talk to them about it. If you really want to fix it then ask them about what the problem might be and how you can take it apart without electricuting yourself. Of course, if they say "Pfft, that amp isn't that great anyway, buy this bigger and much more expensive one!" then maybe you should stay away from that place.

Marshall has a website as well, i'm not completely sure what it is (if you do a search, you're sure to find it) but they probably have some ressources there, if not, you could probably e-mail them with the problem.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have you taken a small flashlight or similar and looked in side the jack to see if maybe the connectors are just bent or out of a-line. What about the cable your using are you sure it works. If you unplug the amp from the wall socket and then remove the screws (put them all in one place), and just check the wires and soldier connections. Use a wooden pencil or wooden chopstick to touch things. Insert the cable end into the jack to make sure its making good connection.

If everything looks right thing perhaps theres something wrong with the board (this is a solid state amp right), If its anything more than whats been said then i would seek tech advice in person, without having a hands on look its hard to really trouble shoot for you. This can give you thing to look for.

Is this amp still under warranty?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I took the amp apart and everything looks fine. I did not see any obvious problems. I wonder if I can simply pull out the jack and either clean it or replace it. Does anyone know how to do that? I could not get it out.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Ehh, if I were you I'ed look for a shop that does amp repair in the yellow pages and give them a call.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What did have you plugged the line out into? The signal level of the line out will probably only be 0db. Which means it doesn't have any real power. Did you plug it into a mixer input?

joe

ReplyQuote