Clear all

Metal / Distortion Tone Question

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@spider)
Topic starter  

Hi All
Wasn't sure if this should go under general or here so feel free to move.
Anyhows, been playin for around 6 months, can't play much mainly because i don't have the patience , couple of scales, few chords and a little bit of some blink 182 songs and random intros.

Anways, im using a strat copy with 3 single coils and a 20 w amp.

Im trying to get more of a metal style / distorted tone but even with the overdrive turned on and gain all the way up on the amp it still isnt giving as much of that tone as i'd like.

I was thinking maybe i'd need a humbucker replacing the bottom pickup or sumthing :?:

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I would recommend two things to get you a metal tone. One, buy a metal pedal. Digitech makes the Heavy Metal Pedal, and its only like 40 or 50 bucks. I would also recommend replacing the bridge pickup with a rail humbucker.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@spider)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick response
Have looked on their website and like the different sounds it gives you

as for the humbucker, i don't think i have the experience to change the pickup myself, specially seeing as its a different size etc, any ideas if shops generally do this and if so the prices.

thanks v much

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You can get Metal tones with single coils. Humbuckers are heavier though.

Yeah, get a good distortion pedal. I like Zoom pedals myself because in my opinion they have some of the best overdrive and distortions. I have owned many other brands of pedals. Zoom is not as good as others when it comes to effects like chorus or phase, but distortions they are great. :twisted:

Also, invest in an EQ pedal. You could probably get some pretty heavy distortions with your current setup with an EQ pedal. This allows you to boost or cut certain frequencies. For instance, you can do the famous "scooped mids" tone so popular in Metal. You just adjust your sliders on the EQ to look like the letter "V". This boosts the bass and high frequencies and cuts the mids. This is the tone many Metal players use.

Here is a very good and economical EQ pedal.

Danelectro Fish & Chips 7 band EQ

This is a great EQ pedal, just as good (maybe better) than others costing 2-3 times as much. I own 2 of these, and they are very good.

In the meantime, try that scooped mids with your amp. Turn Bass and Treble (or Highs) all the way up, turn Mids all the way down. See what you think. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The rail type humbuckers - and the 'stacked' humbuckers are a drop-in replacement for single-coil pickups. Same dimensions in other words.

Try the pedal first though, you might be surprised at what single coils can do with the proper amp/effect combination.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I'm with Wes. A good pedal and an EQ will get you going in the right direction. Also, make sure your drive/gain is turned up.

I would do those things before you start messin' with your axe. Kurt Cobain used Squire Strats and he didn't seem to have a problem.

ReplyQuote