Clear all

My project

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In the interest of learning how to do repairs and modifications to guitars, I picked up a cheap beater guitar to mess around with. (click on pics for a bigger version)
[

It has a few minor issues that I shouldn't have much trouble dealing with, like the tuners

And a couple of more challenging problems, like a small crack in the fretboard

and what appears to be (or have been) some movement in the neck join

I wonder if that's worse than it looks, though. When I took the strings off, the gap didn't appear to move.
I'm thinking that a better guitar wouldn't have the clear coat over the join anyway. Maybe that's just the varnish cracking in a place that it shouldn't be varnished anyway?

The rest of the work looks like it'll be cosmetic

I haven't decided what I'll do with the pickguard. I might keep it the same (vintage cheezy), or I might go basic black.

After listing the "negatives" of this guitar, here is the biggest positive

I'm sure I'll be asking a bunch of questions before I get done.
Any comments or suggestions more than welcome.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

(@number6)
Estimable Member

Do you know anything about the manufacturer? When I saw this, I thought for a moment that you had the same guitar I did (I picked mine up for $25 at a garage sale...). Mine was made in Korea by Marlin.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Do you know anything about the manufacturer?
Not a thing. I haven't bothered to do any research.
I just assumed it was some cheap "crank 'em out by the millions" import.

Your pickguard's style does look familliar, though. Mine was stuck on with double-sided tape. Yours looks like its screwed on.
The little "steel re-inforced neck" badge on mine's headstock was a paper sticker (which disintegrated when I wiped the gunk of the guitar) Yours looks like it's also screwed on.

Maybe you got the "deluxe model".
For an extra $10 I would expect nothing less. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

Maybe you got the "deluxe model".
For an extra $10 I would expect nothing less. :lol:

LOL

You can't tell from the picture, but the binding on my guitar is painted on too! What's the fretboard on yours like? Mine's just painted a dark colour. It's coming off in places.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yup, sounds like they are brothers.. Or at least close cousins.
My fretboard is so dirty it's hard to tell what it really is. There are some spots between the first couple of frets that seem to be worn thru to a lighter wood.
Oh, and the dots are just glued onto the surface. :roll:
I haven't really decided what to do on the fingerboard yet.

I spent part of this evening touching up the "binding"

Last night I worked on the crack in the fretboard.

Anyone care to venture a guess at what the finish on a guitar of this quality might be? And what I could safely use over it?

In addition to the larger scuffs that are visible in the pictures, there are a lot of smaller scratches. I thought I'd give it a light sanding and try to add a couple of coats of some sort of clear.
I have an airbrush that I can use, but I'm not offended by spray cans.

I don't really want to strip it right to bare wood, though.
Not on my first project. I'm not that ambitious.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've done a bit of looking around and discovered the inspiration for my guitar's pickguard.

A '60's Gibson Hummingbird!

Those Koreans did a pretty good job of duplicating Gibson's artwork on the pickguard.
Too bad that attention to detail didn't carry over into the rest of the instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'd say the pickguard on yours plus the "painting" around the soundhole looks a little "busy" or "complicated". I'd say, definitely go for a solid color pickguard, or get rid of the decoration around the soundhole and keep the pickguard.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'd say the pickguard on yours plus the "painting" around the soundhole looks a little "busy" or "complicated". I'd say, definitely go for a solid color pickguard, or get rid of the decoration around the soundhole and keep the pickguard.

That wouldn't be too hard. The soundhole decoration is just a waterslide.
If I sand for re-finishing, I'll probably damage it anyway.

Maybe a couple of simple pinstripes around the soundhole like the Gibson?

Thanks for the input.

ReplyQuote
(@krypton)

Thanks!!! You not only expalined, but showed the pics. I have a small question to ask.
My guitar is 'f holed'. As it is getting damaged, can I paint it with turpentine, if so then can I paint the fretboard too? does it alter the sound or quality of the guitar?

Thanks in advance!!! :?: :?:

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My guitar is 'f holed'. As it is getting damaged, can I paint it with turpentine, if so then can I paint the fretboard too? does it alter the sound or quality of the guitar?

Thanks in advance!!! :?: :?:

I don't know.
This is my first.

There are several folks around here who have done several guitars, and I'll ask them to jump in if they have an answer (even to say what won't work).

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Krypton - hey, uh, I really don't think you want to use turpentine on your guitar. It would surely strip the finish off your guitar, anywhere you put it. That seems a little extreme. However, I am not very knowledgable about stripping and refinishing guitars.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@krypton)

Thanks people for your responses on my query.

ReplyQuote