Skip to content
My unidentified Sam...

Notifications
Clear all

My unidentified Samick model has a slight problem...

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rnroutlaw1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just brought this guitar home today. I have been playing it for a few hours now and have come to notice a buzzing sound coming from the second (A) string. The first and third are totally fine. That strikes me as a bit odd. Other than that this guitar plays very well. Lucky for me I play 80's Glam/ Hard rock so The distortion covers it up. Thats probably why I really did'nt notice it until I ran it through the clean channel and then when I unplugged it I really noticed it. Not really a big deal but it is bugging or should I say (Buzzing) me though! Any ideas on how to remedy the situation? I thought about adjusting the bottom right of the bridge but the first and third strings are sitting so nicely I don't want to get them out of whack.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I assume this is the $100 guitar, so I'm guessing it's used?

I'd check the frets for wear. When it's time for fret dressing, it usually shows up as a buzz on a single string first.

There could be lots of other causes, though, and a little more info would be useful... does it buzz when played open? Does it buzz on every fret, or just some?

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rnroutlaw1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes it is the 100 dollar guitar. I know I should,nt be complaining but it really is a nice guitar. I just want to fine tune it so that I can get the most out of it. The second string does not buzz when played open but from the first fret on down pretty much to the last it buzzes. There is slight wear on the first second and third rails though.

ReplyQuote
(@rnroutlaw1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I decided to put on a new pair of strings so I gave her some 009 Boomers. I was hoping by some slight chance that it would stop the buzzing but it did not. So, the only thing left to do was for me to try and raise the bottom right of the bridge. I did that and I'm afraid to raise it up anymore because I think it is as high as it will go on that side without the bridge popping out. And unfortunately that second (a) string still buzzes but only when I push on the fretts. What is the next step I should take? :?

ReplyQuote
(@rnroutlaw1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, That problem is solved. Now for another question. On my bridge there are 6 little screws. Are these fine tuning screws or do they adjust the height of the string also? I am trying to post a pic of it but for some reason it wont take. I have pics of the guitar in question on my other posts . oh, ok I got it to work. Sorry the pic sucks but it will give you an idea of what type of bridge it is.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Those screws are used to adjust the intonation of the guitar. I don't recommend adjusting them unless you know what changes they will make.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

+1 for what Bish said. Intonation is best left to be adujusted by a guitar tech, until you are more familar with guitar setups.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

They slide your saddles closer or farther from the nut of the guitar. The idea being, a harmonic struck at the 12th fret should be the exact same pitch as a fretted note at the 12th fret. These screws are the fine adjustment that does that and yes, it should be left to someone who knows what they are doing and is comfortable doing it. They would have no affect on a rattle or buzz in the neck. Hows your neck relief? Is it straight? Again, a truss rod is something best left to an experienced person. This can cause a rattle or buzz in the strings, although it is more apt to affect several strings. Could be frets, or could be the cut of your nut. My Jackson has a little bit of rattle in my A string when played open cause the nut slot is cut a little too deep. Have a tech look at it. Might not be expensive to fix.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gbagwell)

You might want to look at the saddle on the bridge. I have seen other techs get a little file happy when slotting them causing a buzz. Most any good guitar tech should have a replacement saddle and it should not be expensive to replace. When you check it there should be a very slight notch to control the string. It looks like you have an "ABR" style bridge and the saddles are readily available. I have seen this problem many times when players go from a wound B string to a plain B. Good luck, hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@rnroutlaw1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to all who have helped. Greatly appreciated!

ReplyQuote