Notifications
Clear all

neck scale length

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mikieg)
Topic starter  

so lets say i have an ibanez or a b.c. rich body, and i would like to switch out the neck for a 24 fret one. are there any intonation problems just getting a new neck and boltin her up? should be a pretty straight forward switch right?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm not so sure. You're adding two more frets, so about 1" extra in the length of the fretboard. If the 24 fret neck expects a deeper neck pocket (i.e. longer neck) or the neck pickup comes within 1" of the end of the 22 fret neck (overhanging fretboard, same length neck), you're going to have to do some rebuilding work.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes,there are certainly intonation issues, most definitely. Re-do the set up, gonna have to adjust that for sure.

It'll be a greater concern, as mentioned, if the necks will fit, and work. So, I can vouch for Ibanez, they should be interchangeable, and "a" PRS CE would let you go from 22 - 24, except they don't sell body parts. :roll: Charvel/Jackson should be okay too, as I've had some experience there, but not a lot with B.C. Rich? I don' know, but it is likely okay.

Perhaps there is info at the Warmoth site, or at Ed Roman guitars - I'm thinking, just possibly some insights and lots of parts to look at, so why not some pointers? 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I think you're going to need to check carefully- unless you can find a 24 fret neck specifically designed to slot into your guitar...you're talking about changing neck length- to make that work, you may have to do some re-routing of the body. Otherwise, by putting a longer neck in the same neck pockey, you're effectively lengthening the scale. The fret spacing, though, will be designed for the regular scale length...and your guitar will be permanently out of tune.

Intonation and setup changes are pretty much a given when doing a project that makes this many changes.

I think it'll be much more than that, though.

As an aside- my main axe has 24 frets, and I literally never use the top two. What do you want them for?

Saludos,
Ande

ReplyQuote