Notifications
Clear all

Neck Weight problem

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jay314431)
Topic starter  

:roll: I am using a gibson copy and am having problems playing standing up due to the weight of the neck!!! The strap fixing is in the back of the body near to the neck, does anyone know if it would be ok to move this to the head to counteract the weight?

(@denny)
Reputable Member

And I quote from guitarsite.com
"The old-school way is to use a strip of leather, a shoelace, or something similar to tie one end of the strap to your headstock, under the strings just above the nut." Hope this helps.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

get a wiiiiiide leather strap. that'll hold it balanced. Don't put a strap around the headstock. too much stress.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I got a 3 inch wide leather strap for my LP copy due to it's weight. I did not have a problem with the weight of the neck, just the whole guitar. It's a trade off for that great sustain!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's no problem with stress on the neck of the guitar hanging it from a strap tied above the nut. Many generations of guitarists have done it. Strap nuts are a recent invention.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

my guitar tech was so upset that I was strapping my Seagull up by the neck that he put on a strap button at the heel free of charge, just so I woudln't do that anymore.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@crate1)
Eminent Member

Glad to hear the Doc. weigh in on neck strapping..I have two with shoe strings holding the strap..no problems so far..

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Same here.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote