Notifications
Clear all

NEED HELP with WIRING/GROUNDING!?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@drgdrg)
Topic starter  

Ok, hello guys! Fisrt of all, this forum is the forum ive been looking for for the past 2 months! :D
This is my problem...
Well, ive had a YAMAHA EG112 guitar for 5 years. I changed the bridge humbucker pickup to a Seymour Duncan George Lynch Screamin' Deamon pickup. I wired it the way it instructed on the instruction paper that came with the pickup. But something was wrong cuz when i plugged it in, it went crazy. SO i got into the Seymour duncan website and looked up for the pickup wiring schematics that was similar to my guitars components. SO i found it and i found that sincne my guitar is a "startocaster style"guitar the GREEN and BLACK wires had to be reversed (thats what it said here http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/1hum_2sing_1vol_1tone_5way.html ). So i interpreted this like i had to switch those to cables and not fallow what it said on the instructions that came with the humbucker. Now the guitar seemed to work better, i can actually hear the guitar now, haha, but i have a CRAZY buzzing noise on my guitar that partially goes off when i touck the strings, or whatever other metal part thats grounded on my guitar. But even when i do this, only like 60% of the noise is eliminated, another 40% of a buzzing noise is still there, and its bugging the heck out of me! WHat do i do? i cant take it anymore, please help me! This happens when i put distortion on my guiatr, and its not a problem on my FX pedal cuz i tried it out at my fiends house thet other day and his did not make that noise.
HERE is some extra info on what could be causing the problem... :?

I switched my standard plastic volume and tone nobs to metal nobs.
I also switched my variable resitance(or however u call it) volume nob to one that i bought at a Steren Elctronic shop, yeah, my dad told me which one to buy(he's an electric engineer).
And one last thing. I have a crate amp that i bought in south america( is used to live there) so its connection was 220, and when i moved here i just bought a standard 220/110 transformer at radio shack and reversed the plug in/ pluout cables(my dad said it was the same things just switched around). Oh, and the power cable dose not have the third "grounding" metal peice on the plug( i think it never did have it and i dont thing that is the problem cuz i never had a buzzing problem in south america).

I cant send it to my local guitar shop right now cuz they are doing inventory right now, and cant take in guitars for like another 20 days or something. I asked the electric guy at the store if he knew what might be thet problem. He says something may be out of phase and be causing the buzzing noise. But my dad and i shecked the wiring and seemed to be perfectly, exactly thet same as looks on the Seymour Duncan website. Thte guitar guy told me he also switched his humbucker, and also has a buzzing sound, and then commented "Hey, maybe ur buzzing noise is just the normal air interfearence noise, cuz its impossible to be 100% buzz free". But i know that there will always be a "normal"buzzing noise, but MINE is NOT normal, I KNOW IT!

HELP PLEASE!!!!! I would really appreciate it. I want my guitar to sound healthy again, its sick right now :(

PS:
Oh, its not a guitar cable problem cuz i tried it with with like 4 diff guitar cables, and also teste each one with one of those electrical neutral electricity gadget things that beeps when everything is ok, haha, u know hwat im talking about right?

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hmm... I'm not really sure why the type of guitar matters to the wires from the humbucker. Perhaps it is the 5-way switch versus the 3-way.

In any event, I think you lost a ground somewhere. You should double-check that the tremolo-unit has the ground wire still attached to it. The next thing I'd check would be in the output jack. Did you disconnect the jack when you worked on the pickguard and then re-solder the jack? If so, you may have switched the wires. The next thing to check if the above are not the culprit would be to ensure that you've grounded each pickup to a pot. Each pickup should have the groundwire fromthe pickup soldered to the top of a pot.

Also, you might want to ensure that you don't have ANY bare wires touching one another.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@drgdrg)
Topic starter  

Thanx for the quick reply Dali Lima :!:
Im pretty sure i grounded all of my pickups to a pot cover. Maybe i did connect the two plug cables wrong, ill check it out 2morrow when i get a chance. Did u read the part about my amp? Its not grounded to anything, AND it has the doble watt transformer thingy. Could any of those be a problem?
Ill give u updates on how it goes 2morrow... :o

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS?
Id REALLY appreciate ANYTHING! :wink:
Thnx guys...
Bye!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You tested the fx pedal at your friend's house ... now test his guitar through your amp at your house (that should immediately tell you if it's your guitar or something else. )

The ungrounded amp could be it, but you won't know until you eliminate other possibilities.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

Does the buzzing sound go away when you select individual pickups? If not, I think it's probably your volume control. Compare it to how the old one was connected and make sure that it's grounded properly. It's possible that it's supposed to be connected to ground via the metal foil on the inside of your pickguard (I'm assuming there is some). Maybe this new volume has something insulating between it and the shield.

When you touch the metal knobs, does the buzzing increase? That's probably a grounding problem.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote