Skip to content
Need some advice on...

Notifications
Clear all

Need some advice on sanding down the saddle please.

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I got a brand new Ibanez Artwood and the action is pretty high (about 5-6/32") but it looks like the only thing I'll need to do is lower the saddle. The neck relief is fine so I'm pretty sure I don't need to spend $30+ for a setup. Plus the guitar came with an extra saddle. I'd just like to know how to do this right and what might happen if I do it wrong.

I've searched through other threads and know that I have to sand down the bottom of the saddle twice the amount I want lowered and to keep the saddle perpendicular to the sanding material. However, all I have is a small metal file (large enough to cover the entire bottom part of the saddle, though). Will there be any problems if I use that? Also, what'll happen if I don't sand the bottom of the saddle down completely straight? For example, if I can't keep my hand straight while sanding and end up with small bumps or curves at the bottom of the saddle. Will this cause a reduction in sound quality?

Thanks in advance!

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Yes it will cause a reduction in sound quality and volume and if done badly enough you could eventually crack your saddle (not good). What i reccommend is get some coarse (or fine or whatever) sandpaper and clamp it down onto a table in 4 places (the corners of the sheet of sandpaper). Then do it perpendicular. You gotta be very careful and just watch out with what youre doing. Do it slowly. Id take a little off and then check and see if it needs more. You can always take more material off but you cant add any on (except with wood shims but its better the other way).

Good luck.

PS- What part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were removed.

PPS- Why is it necessary to remove twice the amount you want lowered? It confuses me.

Note- Make sure you dont lower too much thereby causing buzz and stuff. Nice and slow. Nice and slow.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Hi,

Im completely new to the art of setup but I just finished one and I used emerycloth - 100 grit - It worked well. Costs about 1 dollar or so at a hardware store.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hi,

Im completely new to the art of setup but I just finished one and I used emerycloth - 100 grit - It worked well. Costs about 1 dollar or so at a hardware store.
Emory cloth is actually what I use but I never recommend that since it cuts pretty quick so go slow. If you want it to go real fast you can use a belt sander but even more caution is needed even with fine paper.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote