Clear all

New Guitar Hums Only At My House

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just bought a nice new guitar (Godin Progression) Strat like thing. When I got it home and played it a little I noticed it hums until I touch the strings or anything metal on the guitar. I assume this is a grounding issue. I delivered it back to the store where I bought it. We could hear some hum in the amp they plugged it into but not as obvious as in my amp at home. He checke the jack and noticed the ground had some worn insulation or was in some way abused. Is this enough to cause my hum? I am thinking that it may well be someof the grounding connections elsewhere in the guitar. Having said that I next to nothing of guitar electronics

Ok I took my fender Super Champ to the store & plugged in the guitar and no hum. Took both the guitar and the amp home and plugged them both in and it hums again. I then plugged the guitar into my VOX DA5 which operates on 6 C batteries and NO Hum. In a fit of curiosity I plugged the Vox amp into the wall and guess what? Yup I got the Hum Back.

Can this mean my household electrical system is not properly grounded? If so why did I not notice this with previous guitars?

Thanks for any insight anyone may have. I am at a dead end.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Can this mean my household electrical system is not properly grounded? If so why did I not notice this with previous guitars?

You could guess, or you could find out for sure with one of these

Have you tried plugging in to different outlets in your house? In different rooms?

It's possible that this guitar is more sensitive to hum than the others.
Or it's possible that the outlet you normally plug into has become damaged.
Or was not installed properly, and the ground wire loosened over time?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Kent, I will make a trip to Canadian Tire for one of those testers. My latest experiment with "The Hum" is this: I tried three different electrical outlets in three different rooms in the house and The Hum follows me everywhere. I am going to drag my gear to a friends house tonight and see if it hums there.

Is it possible entire house has some grounding problem? Everything sounded great at the store go figure!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes, you can have an entire house with a grounding problem, therefore the setup may behave differently someplace else.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is there any solution or test I can conduct to see if I have grounding challenges in my house? I think my electrical system is grounded to a water pipe but I may be wrong I will have to check tonight. Will the little tester Kent suggested tell me this?

Now my new guitar has a HDR (High Definition Revoicer) by Godin which switches the pickups from active to passive so it does have a 9v battery. Could this be a contributing factor? I hae used single coil guitars before with no issues.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Is the hum the same in active and passive modes?
Can you use it in passive mode with the battery out?
Do you have fluorescent or neon lights? 8)

I'm thinking ground loop, maybe with the weird wiring in that guitar. You might want to try out a ground loop isolator, like the EHX Hum Debugger.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Grounded to the cold water pipe (on the "strret" side of the water meter) is common, though a dedicated ground rod is better. Make sure the ground clamp on the pipe is tight, isn't corroded and doesn't wiggle.

The outlet tester *might* show a whole house problem, but it is designed to test for correct wiring of the outlet itself.

Another possibility is that something in your house is generating electrical noise that is being passed to your amp thru the house wiring. Motors and fluorescent (or neon) light fixtures are common culprits.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is the hum the same in active and passive modes?
Yes it hums in both active and passive mode, it is louder in active mode in fact.

Do you have fluorescent or neon lights?
I don't, other than some of those little compact ones.

Can you use it in passive mode with the battery out?
I don't know but I intend to try it and try replacing the battery and see if there is a difference.
I'm thinking ground loop, maybe with the weird wiring in that guitar. You might want to try out a ground loop isolator, like the EHX Hum Debugger
I am going to google them in a minute but I really don't want to spend much more money on this I am hoping to speak to the owner of the store and simply retun the guitar and find another. I guess I am giving up
Grounded to the cold water pipe (on the "strret" side of the water meter) is common, though a dedicated ground rod is better. Make sure the ground clamp on the pipe is tight, isn't corroded and doesn't wiggle.

I will see if I can find where it is all grounded and check but this has not changed in the 7 years since I bought the house. The only new addition is the guitar.

Thanks guys!!

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Go you sit near your pc when you play? I find that if I am close to my pc, some of my guitars will pick up hum; electrical noise from unshielded components...

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have mostly dealt with the hum although it still needs some work. I returned my guitar and got a Tele. The Hum is still there my much much lower. I will have to look into this more however. The Passive/Active pickups in the Godin really accentuated the already preasant hum making it quite annoying. It was a sweet guitar though I recommend it. Great for a warm overdriven sound mmm.

I purchased as Americat Special Tele in white and it is really nice too.
Go you sit near your pc when you play? I find that if I am close to my pc, some of my guitars will pick up hum; electrical noise from unshielded components...

This hum is everywhere throughout the house. I think I will have to look into open ground loops etc just to be on the safe side.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Get a length of wire and strip a couple of inches of sheath from both ends. Plug in the guitar and switch on your amp. Connect one end of the wire to your guitar (one of the strings or the bridge) and the other to a piece of bare metal on a central heating radiator (do NOT stick it into a socket). If you have a grounding problem, the hum should disappear - assuming that the radiator is earthed, which most, if not all are.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thnaks Greybeard i will try thatI expect the humming will stop. What is the next step? Does this mean I need to drive a ground rod in or somehow re ground my entire fuse box?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't know about N. America, but most countries use a ring main, which points to the ring being detached from the Earth point, rather than one of the earthing sections being broken.

If that is the case, it needs to be reconnected - don't forget to shut the power down if you're doing it yourself.

I'd get an electrician to do it - that won't invalidate your house insurance.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote